How to change your current account
You can change your existing Nationwide current account to another type of Nationwide current account. You can also switch from another provider to a Nationwide current account you already have.
When you change current account, you'll get the benefits offered by your new current account as soon as the switching process is complete.
From one Nationwide current account to another
Before you apply to change
You may not be eligible to change current account type if:
- you’ve recently been overdrawn on your account without authorisation
- you’ve missed a payment on a loan, mortgage or credit card with Nationwide or another provider
- you're bankrupt
- you’re under 18
- you have an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) with any creditors.
Changing your account type won't affect your credit score.
You’ll have 28 days to change your mind and cancel the switch.
Your sort code and account number won’t change in most cases, but a new card will get sent to you within 7 working days.
You can still use your old card for up to 21 days after the account change.
Changing your current account
If you have a FlexPlus, you can change it to a FlexDirect or FlexAccount by:
If you have a joint FlexPlus current account and want to change to a sole current account, you’ll need to visit your nearest branch.
If you have any other Nationwide current account, you can change to a FlexPlus, FlexDirect or FlexAccount by:
If you have a FlexOne, you can also change to a FlexStudent in the Internet Bank, by calling us or by visiting a branch.
Switch to Nationwide and change your current account at the same time
You can't switch to us from another provider and change your existing Nationwide account type in one application.
You’ll need to choose which to do first:
- Switch your current account to an existing Nationwide current account first, then apply to change that account type. For example, you might want to do this if you want to come to Nationwide as soon as possible, OR
- Change your existing Nationwide account type first, then apply to switch your current account with another provider to your existing Nationwide account. For example, you might want to do this if you want to benefit from the features of a chosen current account as soon as possible.