If you haven’t received an email from us within 5 days of you applying requesting additional proof, this is because we’ve approved your loan. You don’t need to contact us.

What's on this page

Proof of your right to live and work in the UK

To prove your right to live and work in the UK, provide one of the following:

  • a passport with either indefinite leave to remain or a no time limit stamp
  • a naturalisation certificate
  • a resident's permit with either leave to remain to a date that’s later than the date of the last loan repayment or indefinite leave to remain.
  • a 9-digit UK Government share code (opens in a new window)


The expiry date of your resident’s permit must be at least 1 month later than the date of your last loan repayment. For example, if your last payment is on the 20 May 2021, the resident permit must expire on the 20 June 2021 or later.

Proof of income

When you apply for a personal loan, we'll email you asking for proof of your income.

How to send your proofs

We need to receive proof of income and signed Personal Loan Agreement within 30 days from your application date.

If you’re sending us documents, use the link in the email we sent you. We only accept scans of your documents.

If you’re sending a UK Government share code as proof of your right to live and work in the UK, simply reply to the email we sent you with your 9-digit code.

What happens after we receive your documents

Once we've checked your documents and approved your loan, we'll transfer the money to your Nationwide current account in 2 hours.