What is third party access?

Third party access is the term we use to talk about the options you have to get help managing your money where you’re supported by someone you trust.

We've got a range of options for you to choose from depending on the kind of support you need. From short-term support with simple banking to long-term help with your finances.

Help to manage your money

If you’d like short-term help with simple banking, a Third Party Mandate could help. This allows you to give access to your savings passbook account to someone else for up to 12 months.

Preparing for the future? Having a lasting power of attorney in place may suit you better. This could allow someone to manage your finances if you become unable to in the future. 

Whatever support you need, a third party access option helps protect you and your money. The person supporting you can only act in ways that you've set out. 

Helping someone else

Already acting as an attorney or a deputy for someone? You’ll need to register the document with us before you can access someone else's Nationwide accounts.

Once you're registered, we want to make managing someone else's money as simple as possible. We could provide you with a card, statements and more.

Understanding third party access 

From temporary help with 1 account to long-term support for your finances. Learn more about the third party access options available.

Third Party Mandate

Give someone you trust access to your savings passbook account to help with simple, everyday banking in branch. Learn more and get set up here. 

Power of attorney

Whether you need support now or in the future, a power of attorney could help. Learn more about the different types of power of attorney here. 

Court of Protection Order

If you want to support someone who isn’t able to make their own decisions, you may consider a Court of Protection Order. Understand more about how an Order works here. 

Register a document with us

Already have a power of attorney or Court of Protection Order in place? We need to register the document before we can give you access to someone else's accounts. 

Register a power of attorney

You or your attorney can register your document with us – so you can get support now or in the future. 

Register a Court of Protection Order

If you’ve been appointed as a deputy, register the Order with us to start managing someone else’s accounts.  

Supporting someone else at Nationwide 

Explore our guides to help you manage someone else’s money as simply as possible. 

Acting as an attorney

How to manage someone else’s money as an attorney.

Being a deputy

Helping you manage someone else’s accounts as a deputy. 

More help and support 

Over the phone

Our specialist team are here to help.

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.  
Saturday, 9am to 12pm. 
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.

0800 464 30 18

Other sources of help