FlexPlus current account
Get worldwide travel, mobile phone and European breakdown cover. Pay just £13 a month for maintaining the account.
Features and benefits
Travel insurance for your family, worldwide
For you, your partner and your dependent children. Includes winter sports, golf, weddings and business cover.
Mobile phone insurance for your family, worldwide
For your mobile and those belonging to your partner and dependent children. Covers loss, theft, damage and faults with your mobile.
Breakdown cover in the UK and the rest of Europe
For your vehicle and any that you’re travelling in. With no excess to pay and unlimited callouts. Vehicles need to be registered in the UK, taxed and serviced, and have a valid MOT.
No need to register before you claim
Cover for all the insurances starts once your FlexPlus account is open.
Travel-friendly Visa debit card
There are no Nationwide transaction fees to worry about when you withdraw cash or make payments abroad.
Access to other Nationwide products
Opening a FlexPlus is one way to become a member of Nationwide. Find out more about membership.
Available as a joint account
This can be with your partner, a family member or a friend.
FlexPlus comes with everything you’d expect from a Nationwide current account, including:
- Contactless card payments in the UK up to £100
- Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay and Paym
- Optional paperless statements
- Text alerts – set your preferences to help you manage your money
- Chequebook available on request
To apply for FlexPlus
You need to:
- be 18 or over
- be a UK resident
- agree the account is for personal use only
- hold no more than 4 existing sole or joint Nationwide current accounts.
Limitations and exclusions apply to the insurances. Make sure you read the full information about the insurances before you apply.
Make banking easier with our secure app
- Manage all your Nationwide accounts in one place
- View and search your transactions
- Freeze and unfreeze your Visa Debit card
- Report your card lost or stolen and order a new card
Insurances that come with your FlexPlus account
You’ll need to pay £13 a month to maintain the account, even if you can’t use the insurances.
It’s not possible to have a FlexPlus account without the insurances or the insurances without a FlexPlus account.
For more information about travel insurance during coronavirus, including information about refunds for upgrades, read our travel and coronavirus information page.
For globetrotting adventures on your own or with your family.
Cover for your travel essentials including luggage, documents and cash that you can manage online. And to protect against travel-specific problems like delays, cancellations and medical expenses.
Limits and exclusions
There are excesses to pay when you make a claim. Please check that you and your family are covered under the terms of the policy before you apply. Especially if anyone has an existing medical condition or is 70 years old or over. You may be able to buy an optional upgrade to extend your cover.
Mobile phone insurance
For your family’s mobile phones, no matter where you take them.
Enjoy worldwide cover for phones up to the value of £1,500 each so they can be repaired or replaced if they’re lost, stolen, damaged or faulty. Make up to 4 claims each year.
Limits and exclusions
An excess is payable when you make a claim, and we’ll need proof of ownership. For incidents that happen abroad, claims will be fulfilled once you return to the UK. Please check all the limits, exclusions and excesses under the terms of the policy before you apply.
For your journeys anywhere in Europe, in any vehicle.
We’ll help if you breakdown at home or on the road in any vehicle. We’ll even help with your onward travel or a hire car for a day or two. There is no excess to pay and no limit to your callouts.
Limits and exclusions
Vehicles must be registered in the UK, taxed and fully serviced, and have a valid MOT. There are also weight and length limits on some vehicles such as motorhomes and caravans. Please check all the limits and exclusions under the terms of the policy before you apply.
You can apply for an arranged overdraft at any time. When you do, we’ll look at your circumstances to see if we can offer you one. You’ll need to be 18 or over and a UK resident.
Find out more about overdrafts using our:
Switching to Nationwide
Fast — switch in just 7 working days. You choose the date, and we’ll let you know when it’s done.
Seamless — a dedicated team does it all for you. They’ll switch your payments, balance and even your list of payees.
Guaranteed — there shouldn't be any problems but if there are, you won't lose a penny.
Fees, charges and important documents
Before you apply, make sure you read the:
- Current account terms and conditions
- Interest rates and charges - PDF 91KB (opens in a new window)
- FlexPlus Fee Information Document (FID) - PDF 99KB (opens in a new window), which shows you all the fees and charges
- Charitable Assignment
And the policy documents for the insurances:
- FlexPlus Travel insurance policy document - PDF 264KB (opens in a new window)
- Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) (effective from 5 October 2021) - PDF 178KB (opens in a new window)
- IPID (effective from 1 January to 4 October 2021) - PDF 104KB (opens in a new window)
- Travel Policy Summary of Changes Document (effective from 1 January to 4 October 2021) - PDF 69KB (opens in a new window)
- Mobile phone cover policy document - PDF 266KB (opens in a new window)
- Breakdown cover policy document - PDF 310KB (opens in a new window)
With FlexPlus you’ll need to pay £13 a month for maintaining the account.
Apply for FlexPlus
When you apply for FlexPlus, you can:
- apply for a brand new account
- switch your current account from another bank or building society to us, or
- change your existing Nationwide current account to a FlexPlus.
Quick comparison of our everyday bank accounts
We offer a few different current accounts. Check that you’re applying for the right account for you.
You can also see a full comparison of our everyday bank accounts.
If you can't view the whole table, swipe or scroll to show more > > >
If you don’t qualify for a FlexAccount, FlexDirect or FlexPlus current account, you may be offered a FlexBasic account.
Protecting your money
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (opens in a new window) (FSCS) is a free, independent service that protects up to £85,000 of your eligible money at Nationwide.