How to send money to another UK account from your current account
This page explains how you can transfer money to another UK account from your current account.
Send up to £10,000
As long as you have enough money in your account, you can send as many payments up to £10,000 a day as you want.
If you want to send over £10,000 then you need to set up a larger payment.
And if the payment is going to happen on a regular basis, it might make life easier if you set up a standing order.
You can set a payment to leave your account immediately, or for the next working day
Once the payment leaves your account, the funds normally arrive within 2 hours.
If you want the payment to leave your account the next day, it needs to be set up by 10pm the working day before.
If you’re paying someone new
Remember if you send money to someone, we can’t always get it back for you. That’s why it’s important to do everything you can to protect yourself from fraud.
To complete the payment you’ll need:
- to know whether the account you are paying is a personal or business account
- the first and last name of the person, or the name of business you're paying
- their 8-digit account number
- their 6-digit sort code
- the payment reference
We will need to check that the payment request has come from you. We do this by asking for a combination of your security details such as fingerprint, card reader, your mobile device and any security codes. You will need to check and confirm the details are correct to authorise the payment.
The payment reference is used every time you pay that person or organisation. You can change an existing payment reference through the Internet Bank, or by speaking to us. If you don’t make a payment to a saved recipient for more than 13 months, their details are removed from your list of payment references. You’ll need to add their details in again to pay them.
Request a payment to be sent in the Banking app
- Log in to the Banking app.
- Tap on the menu in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Payments and transfers.
- Tap Pay or move money.
- Choose the account you’d like to pay with.
- Either choose A new person or company to pay someone new or select Someone you’ve paid before and then tap Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Request a payment to be sent in the Internet Bank
- Log into the Internet Bank.
- Click on the Move money tab at the top of the page.
- Find the Pay a bill or send money to someone panel.
- Choose the account you wish to use, then select Single payment.
- Choose A new person or organisation to pay someone new or select Someone you’ve paid before.
- Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
Don’t have internet banking?
Pop into branch and a member of our team will be happy to help you make the payment. You'll need to bring:
- the payment details of the person or organisation you’re paying
- your account passbook or debit card
- a valid UK passport or driving licence
- proof of address.