Borrow back your mortgage overpayments
When you overpay your mortgage, you may want the flexibility of borrowing your money back. We hold the money you've previously overpaid in an overpayment reserve, so you can withdraw it when you need to.
From 1 January 2021 you’ll not be eligible to borrow back if you live in the EEA.
Supporting mortgage members during coronavirus: Find out how we can support you if the impact of coronavirus on your finances has you worried about making your mortgage payments.
Borrowing back eligibility
You can borrow back if you:
- Took out your mortgage deal before 4 March 2010.
- You live in the UK.
- Have built up an overpayment reserve by making overpayments on your mortgage.
- Have the option to borrow back your overpayment reserve on your mortgage.
You can check your latest mortgage offer to find out if you have the borrow back feature.
What to expect when borrowing back
- Your monthly payments will be recalculated from the first day of the following month.
- Your mortgage balance increases when you borrow back from your overpayment reserve. This will result in higher monthly repayments.
- We’ll start to charge interest on the new balance the day after the money is sent.
- Once your application has been accepted, you’ll receive your funds in three to five working days. If you pay by Direct Debit we’ll pay these funds into the account you pay your mortgage from. If there is no Direct Debit set up we can send it to an account of your choice.
- If your monthly mortgage payments are made by Direct Debit, we’ll automatically change your payment amount.
- If you make payments by standing order or any other method, for example, by cash or cheque, you will need to change your monthly payment to the new amount.
If you’re concerned about paying your mortgage we are here to help. Call us on 0800 464 30 30 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays) to discuss your options, or visit our challenging times page
Ways to apply
Over the phone
To apply to borrow back your mortgage overpayments, please have all the borrowers present and call us:
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Saturday 9am to 12pm.
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.
UK: 0800 464 30 44