Apple Pay guide
You can set up Apple Pay using the Nationwide Banking app or the Apple Wallet app.
What's on this page
How to set up Apple Pay
To set up Apple Pay, you'll need:
an Apple device compatible with Apple Pay
your Nationwide debit or credit card(s).
You can find out which iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac models are compatible with Apple Pay, and where you can use them for your purchases and payments, on the Apple Support website.
Instructions for setting it up in our Banking app
- Sign in to your account on the Banking app.
- Go to the menu and select Manage Cards.
- Tap on Add to Apple Wallet.
- Follow the setup process.
Instructions for setting it up in the Apple Wallet app
The Wallet app will already be installed on your Apple device.
- Open the Wallet app.
- Follow the setup process.
- Add your Nationwide debit or credit cards.
Remember, you can add:
- more than one card to a device
- the same card to more than one device.
Using Apple Pay
You can use Apple Pay with retailers that display the contactless or Apple Pay logo.
There’s no limit to how much you can pay in one transaction. But some retailers might set their own limits for Apple Pay payments.
Apple Pay not working?
Find out what to do if Apple Pay isn’t working when you try to make a payment.
If you’re using Apple Pay for the first time
- Make sure your device is up to date – check your settings for any updates you need to make.
- Check your card is listed in the Apple Pay app – there might be some more steps you need to take to finish setting it up.
If you’ve used Apple Pay before
Check the retailer accepts Apple Pay
Look out for the contactless or Apple Pay logo.
Check that your card isn't frozen
If you froze your debit card when it was lost, Apple Pay will still work.
You can use the Banking app to:
- Unfreeze your card, if you've found it
- Report it lost or stolen, if you can’t find your card. Apple Pay will work while you're waiting for your replacement card.
Check you have contactless payments enabled
We want our members to be in control of how they use their money. This includes choosing whether you want to be able to make contactless payments.
But please remember that if you turn off the ability to make contactless payments on your account, Apple Pay will stop working.
Contact us if you're still having problems
We’ll do what we can to help – you can call us or speak to us in branch.
Over the phone
What to do if your card is lost or stolen
If your card's been lost or stolen you can report your card as missing, or freeze your card until you find it.
Report your card missing
When you tell us your card is missing, we’ll cancel it and post a new one to you. You can continue to use Apple Pay while you wait for your new card. Once your new card is ready, we’ll automatically update the card details in Apple Pay for you.
Freeze your debit card
You can freeze a lost debit card in the Banking app.
If your card turns up, you can unfreeze it straight away and start using it again.
Report your card lost or stolen
How to remove a card from Apple Pay
You can remove your card from the Wallet app if you don’t want to use it anymore.
Remove your card
How to remove a card from the Wallet app depends on the device you’re using.
Lost or stolen device?
If your device is missing, you can secure your money by locking your device or removing your card.
To lock your device:
- Log in to iCloud from another computer.
- Use Find My iPhone to lock your device.
If you still need help
If you can’t remove your Nationwide card from your device, we can help. Try calling us, or visiting us in branch.