When you apply for a mortgage with us, we'll ask to see some documents to help us confirm information such as:

  • Who you are
  • Where you live
  • How much you earn
  • Proof of your deposit

You can provide these when you complete your Decision in Principle (which may speed up your mortgage application), or once you've completed your full mortgage application.

Here you'll find details about the documents we'll need from you and what we're looking for, plus how you can email these documents to us.

Please note: we have different email addresses for different types of mortgage application. Please make sure you send your application to the correct address.

This is intended as a useful guide and we may ask for more documents depending on your circumstances.

Permanent employment

Are you permanently employed?

We'll need to see your latest payslip as proof of your income. We can accept online payslips in their original file format, but not screen-prints.

Below is an example payslip and the key information needed.

Payslip example
  1. Employee name must match the name on the mortgage application or if the name is on the detachable part of the payslip, we'll need to see a copy of this.
  2. Pay date and tax period must be clearly shown. This needs to be your latest payslip.
  3. Gross pay. We need to identify your normal salary. This could be basic salary, contractual pay, salary or notional salary. However, this list is not exhaustive.
  4. If you're including bonus, overtime or commission, we'll ask for additional payslips where you're using any or all of these. Please see the table below for more information.
  5. Additional allowances. We can use certain allowances as part of your basic pay including car, location and shift allowances.
  6. Please include your (first) middle name on your application if you have one.
  7. If there is an address on your payslip, this should match the address on your application.
  8. Your payslip (including any detachable parts) must show your employer's name. If your employer's name isn't on the payslip or any bank statements, you'll need to provide your P60.
  9. Please include outgoings you've told us about in your application (e.g. student loan payments or childcare vouchers).
  10. Your payslip must show your gross pay.
  11. Your payslip must show your net pay.

If you've told us about extra income you receive (e.g. bonus, overtime or commission), we'll need you to send us more payslips:

Frequency of pay Number of payslips needed
Weekly Latest 8 payslips
Fortnightly Latest 6 payslips
Monthly Latest 3 payslips
Quarterly Latest 3 quarterly payslips
Half yearly Latest 4 half yearly payslips
Annually Latest 2 annual payslips


Are you employed on a fixed-term contract?

If you're currently employed on a fixed-term contract, you must be employed for a minimum of 12 months, or have at least 24 months remaining. You'll need to provide us with your latest employment contract. It needs to include all pages and must be signed by you and your employer. If your original contract has been extended, we need to see a copy of the extension letter. 

If you're employed on a temporary basis through an agency, we'll contact your employment agency.


Are you self-employed?

You'll need to have been self-employed in the UK for a minimum of two years, and you'll need to supply us with your accountant's name, address, contact telephone number and email address. We'll request an Accountant's Certificate directly from them. 

If you don’t have an accountant we’ll need to see your last two years' HMRC tax calculations and two years' HMRC Tax Year Overviews showing full payment of tax.

Tax calculations and the Tax Year Overviews can be printed from your online account. If you don't have an online account, you can contact the HMRC directly.

If you're a fixed-term contractor and have been invoicing through your own limited company for 1-2 years, we may treat you as an employed fixed-term contractor. If you've been a fixed-term contractor for 2 years or more, you'll be treated either as an employed FTC, or self-employed.

If you're a Nationwide member and fall outside these criteria, please call us on 0800 30 20 10.

Any other income

Have you declared any other income?

If you've declared additional income (to any employed income) on your mortgage application, you'll need to provide us with proof of this – please note, this isn't an exhaustive list.

Child Benefit
Current Child Benefit Award Notice letter or your latest month’s bank statement showing the payment has been received.
Note - Child Benefit can't be included as income if any applicant has a total income of more than £50,000 a year.

Working & Child Tax Credits
Most recent tax credit award notice (all pages, even if they are blank). This must exactly match the names of all applicants.

Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
A copy of your latest award letter from the Department for Work and Pension (DWP).

A copy of your court order, Child Support Agency (CSA)/Child Maintenance Services (CMS) assessment or private written agreement confirming the maintenance paid, along with the most recent 6 months bank statements showing the amount received. For maintenance to be used as part of your income it needs to have been the same amount for the last 3 months.

Private Pension
You'll need to provide your latest annual pension statement/letter from the pension provider, latest pension payslip or P60.

State Pension
You'll need to provide your annual statement from the DWP.

Bank statements

Bank statements

Normally, we'll need to see your latest statement but we may ask for more – up to 6 months depending on your circumstances.

We accept both paper and online bank statements. If providing us with online versions, please include the HTTP address at the bottom of the page so we know they come from a trusted source.

Below is an example bank statement and the key information needed.

Sample statement
  1. The statement must show your full name or initials, surname, and your address.
  2. The Building Society/Bank logo must be shown.
  3. Bank statements must be full month statements for the number of months requested and must be the latest received.
  4. Bank account and sort code numbers must be shown.
  5. All pages of the statement(s) must be included.
  6. A running balance must be shown.
  7. If the bank statement provided is from a current account, we should be able to see that payments have left the account.
  8. Outgoings must match those declared on the application (e.g. loan and credit cards).

Proof of name and address

Proof of name and address

When you apply for a mortgage with Nationwide, we may need additional proof of your name and address to verify your identity. This is so that we can meet UK money laundering regulations to help stop criminals from using financial products or services for their own benefit. We'll only ask for enough information to allow us to open your account.

Our Customer Identification page gives you full details of the documents we'll need to see.

Evidence of deposit

Is your deposit from savings or a gift?

If your deposit is from savings and over £50k: You’ll need to provide us with the latest bank statements showing the deposit amount. 

The number of bank statements depends on where the bank account is held:

  • Within the UK – one month
  • Outside of the UK and with the European Economic Area (EEA) – three months
  • Outside the EEA – six months

If your deposit is a gift and above £10k:  You’ll need to complete a Gifted Deposit Template and the person providing the gift may have to provide bank statements depending on where they live:

  • Within the UK – not required
  • Outside of the UK and within the EEA – three months
  • Outside the EEA – six months

Providing us with your documents

If you've completed your mortgage application online, you can email your documents (except proof of name and address) to us:

See our Customer Identification page for how to provide us with your proof of name and address.

We accept attachments in PDFJPEG or TIF file formats and we’ll send you a confirmation email once we’ve received them. If you prefer, you can post or take all your documents into your local branch.

If you have any questions please call us on 0800 464 3000. Opening times – Mon to Fri: 8am – 6pm (closed Weekends and Bank Holidays), or visit your local branch.