Need to tell us about a change of name?

There are two ways of letting us know about a change to your name.

In branch

Take proof of your name change into one of our branches and a member of our staff will update your details.

You’ll find a list of valid proof of name change on this page and you’ll need to take in the original or certified copy of the document, not a photocopy.

Find your nearest branch

By post

Please download and complete our Change of Name form.

You'll then need to post this – along with proof of your name change – to us at:

Nationwide Building Society
SN38 1NW

You'll find a list of valid proof of name change on this page and you'll need to enclose the original or certified copy of the document, not a photocopy.

We'll return passports and photocard driving licences/ID cards using registered post. All other original documents will be returned using the standard UK mail service.

Please note: we may still need to contact you if you opt to tell us about your name change by post.

Valid proof of change of name

We'll need an original or certified copy of the document from this list to confirm your name change. We can't accept a photocopy.

  • marriage certificate
  • civil partnership certificate
  • decree absolute or dissolution order
  • enrolled deed poll
  • unenrolled deed poll plus one item of original Name ID in your new name (Photocard Driving Licence, Passport or EA Identity Card)
  • statutory declaration
  • court order
  • adoption certificate
  • birth certificate (for children’s and gender changes)

If you have an insurance or investment product through Nationwide

You’ll need to contact your policy provider directly to tell them about your change of name.

Our list of insurance and investment providers will help you find the contact information you need.

Change of name for a business, club, charity or society

You must come into branch to update the name of your business, club, charity or society. We must see the originals of the following supporting documents – we can’t accept photocopies or certified copies.

Clubs and societies

  • the club/society constitution and/or rules; or
  • a letterhead confirming the club/society name; or
  • a letter confirming purpose of the club/society.

Registered charities

  • The official document from the Charity Commission quoting the registered charity number.
  • If the charity is a limited company we also need the Certificate of Incorporation.


  • The Companies House document.

What happens next?

Any cards or chequebooks needed for your account(s) will be sent to you showing the new name within 10 working days of notification. Please note: you may get some communications from us using the old name for a short time.

Related articles

Find out more

Contact us

Visit us in branch

If you need to speak to a member of staff, pop into any branch. 

Find a branch near you
Contact us

Give us a call

You can get in touch with us over the phone. We’ve made it easy to find the best number to call.

Call us