What documents can be used to prove your income?

We'll need one document for each applicant.

If you have a joint applicant and we've asked for proof of income from them too, they'll need to provide their own separate documents.

You can use copies of original documents as long as they're clear copies.

Self-employed proof of income

We need proof of the income you've declared over the last 12 months if you're:

  • registered as self-employed
  • a partner in a partnership, or
  • a company director.

You (or your joint applicant) can use either:

  • a print-off of your tax calculation, if you're registered for the Inland Revenue's self-assessment service,
  • the SA302 letter from the Inland Revenue that includes your tax calculation, or
  • a completed certificate, provided by Nationwide, and signed by your accountant. They may charge you for doing this.

Employed proof of income

You (or your joint applicant) can use either:

  • a copy of your most recent weekly or monthly payslip. This must show the name of your employer, your year to date income and the tax and National Insurance that’s been deducted,
  • a handwritten payslip with a P60, or
  • a job offer letter or contract of employment showing your annual salary. You must send this document if you've been employed for less than 3 months.

Pension proof of income

We'll need to see proof of income for all pensions declared on your application, including those of your joint applicant if you have one.

We can accept:

  • Private and/or state pensions.
  • War Widow's and/or Widower's Pensions (also known as Bereavement Allowance).

You (or your joint applicant) can use either:

  • your most recent pension statement – must be an original and no more than 12 months old, or
  • your most recent bank statement showing your pension – please only send this if you can't provide a pension statement, and highlight the pension or detail the payments in a covering letter.

Unfortunately, we can't accept joint account statements because we can't always tell exactly who the payment is for.

Benefits proof of income

Benefits can include:

  • Court-ordered maintenance – as long as this runs for the term of the loan
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) – if it's permanent
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Please provide either:

  • a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming what the benefit is for and how it will be paid, or
  • a copy of the court order for maintenance.

How to send your documents

To find out how to send your proof of income documents, let us know whether you're applying for a current account or a personal loan.

Which Nationwide product are you applying for?