Get a quote – and a 25% discount if you're a Nationwide member

Get a personalised quote for your buildings insurance. And, if you're a Nationwide member on the day you get your quote, we'll give you a 25% discount. You're a member if you hold a Nationwide mortgage, savings or current account.

We may change or withdraw this discount in future. If this happens, your 25% discount will stay in place until the end of your policy year.

Cover for your home

We're working with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd to bring you Home Insurance. So, together we're here for you when you need us.

  • Unlimited Buildings Cover
    If your home gets damaged, we’ll cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home. This includes fire, storm and flood damage.
  • Alternative accommodation, up to £50,000
    We’ll find you somewhere else to live temporarily if your home gets damaged and is unfit to live in. This includes kennel fees.
  • Trace and access, up to £5,000 
    To cover the cost of removing and replacing part of your home to find the source of water or oil leaking from a heating or water system.
  • Escape of water, unlimited
    To repair damage caused by water escaping, like from a burst pipe.
  • Lost or stolen keys, up to £750
    To replace the locks on the external doors of your home, garage or outbuildings.
  • Owner’s liability, up to £2,000,000
    Cover if you get held legally responsible as a homeowner for accidents involving your building. This includes injury or damage caused by building work at your property.

Some of the things you won't get cover for include:

  • normal use or ageing
  • damage due to a lack of maintenance
  • fences, hedges and gates damaged by a flood or storm.

To apply for Home Insurance

You need to be at least 18 years old.


For cover limits and exclusions, including optional extras, see our Home Insurance policy - PDF, 6.8MB (opens in a new window). You’ll need to pay an excess when you claim.

For a simple summary of the policy, read the Home Insurance Product Information Document - PDF, 74KB (opens in a new window)

Add the optional extras you need

You can choose to add any of the following types of cover for an extra cost:

Accidental Damage Cover

Get cover for accidental damage to the structure of your home and your fittings, like doors, bathroom suites and kitchen cupboards.

This includes if you accidentally drill through a pipe or break a window.

You’ll get cover up to the limits shown on your Policy Schedule.


You won't get cover for damage caused by normal use or ageing or lack of maintenance.

Matching Items Cover

If we can’t replace or repair a damaged item that belongs to a set, we’ll pay to replace the whole set.

For example, if you damage one of your kitchen units and we can’t repair or replace it, we'll replace the whole set of kitchen units.

You’ll get cover up to the limits shown on your Policy Schedule.


You won't get cover for:
  • damage caused by normal use or ageing or lack of maintenance
  • replacing all undamaged items if the cost to repair or replace the damaged items is below the policy excess.

Home Emergency Cover

Get support to make your home safe and secure if an emergency occurs.

We use a company called CET, who will send out a recommended tradesperson who will make emergency repairs to your home up to £500. They'll come out 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

We’ll pay up to £500 for Home Emergency claims.


You won't get cover for:
  • power cuts caused by your electric or gas supply getting cut off
  • power cuts caused by industrial action or strikes.

Legal Cover

Get legal expenses covered up to £50,000 for things like injury, an employment issue or boundary dispute.

Legal Cover is provided by Arc Legal Assistance and administered by Lyons Davidson.

We’ll pay up to £50,000 for Legal Cover claims.


You won't get cover if you: don’t have a realistic chance of winning the case.

Choose your Buildings Insurance excess

You can choose an excess between £50 and £500, in £50 increments.

For the following claims, you'll pay the excess amount shown below unless your chosen excess is higher:

  • £350 for claims relating to escape of water, like water leaking from your washing machine.
  • £1,000 for claims related to subsidence, heave or landslip on your property.


You don't pay an excess if you claim on Home Emergency Cover.