Haven’t registered the Court of Protection Order with us? You’ll need to do this before you can access someone else’s accounts. Find out how to register a Court of Protection Order with us.

What's on this page

What is a Court of Protection Order?

As a reminder, a Court of Protection Order is a legal document. It appoints someone (a ‘deputy’) to make decisions for someone else (the 'donor'). 

The Order is issued by the Court of Protection. And it’s only made when the donor lacks mental capacity and there’s no lasting power of attorney (LPA) in place.  

When the Court appoints you as a deputy, you agree to make decisions in the donor’s best interests. And you can only act in ways that the Court have set out in the Order. 

How do I access someone else’s accounts?

Once you’ve registered a Court of Protection Order with us, you can access the donor’s accounts in branch or at a cash machine. And in some cases, we can give you online access using the Internet Bank. 

However you choose to bank, you must always act in line with the Court of Protection Order.

At a branch 

As a deputy, you can make payments and transfers in branch. You can also manage regular payments like standing orders.

At a cash machine 

If you’d like one, we may be able to offer you a card for a donor’s account. So, you can make withdrawals at a cash machine – without having to come into branch. 

Over the phone 

You can call us to ask us any questions about the accounts you’re managing. But you cannot use telephone banking to make transactions. And we cannot give you access to anyone else’s accounts using our mobile Banking app yet.  


If you’d like to manage the donor’s accounts using the Internet Bank, you’ll need to: 

  • Have no restrictions set out by the Court 
    This means the Court have not restricted what you can do as a deputy when managing the donor’s money. For example, there’s no limit to how much cash you can take out or which accounts you can access.

  • Act Jointly and Severally with any other deputies
    This means you can make decisions on your own or with other deputies. 

  • Be personally named as a deputy in the Order
       We cannot give online access to companies or organisations. 

  • Have your own Nationwide account  
    We can only give online access to deputies who are also a member of Nationwide.  

  • Not be managing a joint account for the donor 
    If the donor has any joint accounts with us, we cannot give you online access at all. And you’ll need to manage all of their accounts another way. 

What can I do as a deputy?

The Court of Protection will decide what you can (and cannot) do as a deputy. So, as well as acting in the donor’s best interests, you must only act in ways that the Court allows.

There are some things a deputy should not do with a donor’s money. For example, a deputy must never mix their own money with the donor’s money. And they cannot use the donor’s money to pay for expensive gifts for other people.

Remember that the Office of the Public Guardian may ask you to show proof of any money you’ve spent from the donor’s accounts in an annual report. We can provide you with account statements to help with this. 

What a deputy can do at Nationwide 

Once the Court of Protection Order is registered with us, some of the things you may be able to do include: 

  • Paying bills and withdrawing cash 

  • Managing regular payments (like standing orders) 

  • Selling property or managing mortgage payments 

How do I make changes to a Court of Protection Order?

You’ll need to apply to the Court of Protection to make any changes once an Order has been granted.

Anyone can apply to the Court to make a change to an existing Order. But the Court does not have to make the changes someone requests.

If a deputy wants to change an Order

If you want to make a change to an existing Order, for example, you’d like more or less responsibility for the donor, you’ll need to apply directly to the Court of Protection.

You can apply to change the Order by sending a completed application and witness statement by post. Or use a solicitor to help you. 

If a donor wants to change an Order 

Sometimes, a donor or their family may want to change a Court of Protection Order. They also need to apply to the Court of Protection to do this – either completing forms themselves or using a solicitor. 

Registering changes with us 

If the Court makes any changes to an existing Order, the deputy will need to let us know in writing. And we’ll need to see a copy of the new Order once it is issued.

When does a Court of Protection Order end? 

In most cases, a Court of Protection Order will last for the whole of the donor’s lifetime. However, either the donor or the deputy can apply to end the Order or their deputyship if they want to. 

If the donor wants to end a Court of Protection Order  

If the donor feels they now have the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, they can apply to the Court to end the Order.

The Court will want to see evidence that the donor has mental capacity. This means the donor needs to prove that they are able to make their own decisions. And if the court agrees, they will end the Order.

Someone on the donor’s behalf can also apply to the Court to replace a deputy. If the Court agrees, a new deputy will be appointed and the existing deputy removed from the Order.

If the deputy wants to end their deputyship  

If the deputy decides they no longer want to support the donor, they can apply to the Court to end their deputyship. 

The Court might ask the deputy to suggest someone to replace them. Or the Court can appoint a panel deputy if no one suitable is available. 

To appoint a new deputy, the Court will revoke the original Order and issue a new one. With the new Order, the previous deputy no longer has any responsibility for the donor. 

Looking for help? 

Register a Court of Protection Order

You need to register a Court of Protection Order with us before you can start using it to manage Nationwide accounts. Find out how to register in branch or by post.  

Other ways to support someone else

Learn more about the services we offer to help you manage someone else’s money.

Contact us

Over the phone

Our specialist team are here to help.

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.  
Saturday, 9am to 12pm. 
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.

0800 464 30 18