Why register a Court of Protection Order?

If you have been appointed by the Court of Protection to manage someone else’s money, you need to register the Order with us to access their accounts. 

As long as you’re acting in line with the Court of Protection Order, you can:

  • Manage money and accounts
    A deputy can manage money in the same way the account holder would. This includes checking statements, making payments and setting up standing orders. They can also open a new FlexPlus, FlexDirect or FlexAccount with us. Or switch an existing current account to us. They just need to call us or visit their local branch.

  • Speak to us directly
    If you have a question about the accounts, you can speak to us on behalf of the account holder. So, you can make decisions quickly and easily.

  • Manage someone’s finances
    To help you manage an account, we’ll send you statements, and we may be able to offer you a card. We may also be able to give you online access using the Internet Bank. 

To register a Court of Protection Order with us, you’ll need:

  • a valid Court of Protection Order appointing you to act on the account holder’s behalf
  • proof of ID and address.

What we can give deputies

When you register the Court of Protection Order with us, you can request:

  • A card
    We may be able to give you a card.

  • A chequebook
    We may be able to give you a chequebook.

  • Account statements
    Current accounts: we can send the statements to one or more deputies.
    Savings accounts: we can send the statements to one deputy only.

  • Online access
    If you’re also a member of Nationwide, we may be able to give you access to the donor’s accounts using our Internet Bank. So, you can make payments and transfers without coming into branch. 


Once we’ve registered the Court of Protection Order, there are a few things we can do for a deputy. But it depends on what is permitted by the Order and whether they’re acting ‘Jointly’ with another deputy.

Unless there are limits or restrictions in the Order, we’ll cancel the account holder’s cards and chequebooks. We can also cancel the account holder’s online access if a deputy requests this.

What deputies cannot do 

When acting as a deputy with us, you cannot:

  • Apply for credit
    Deputies cannot apply for credit cards, overdrafts and loans or increase existing credit limits on behalf of someone else. But you can pay off existing debt and manage mortgage payments.

  • Access some types of accounts
    We generally cannot register a deputy on e-loans or certain savings accounts such as Smart Accounts, Portfolio, Investor, Treasurers’ Trust, Junior ISA and Child Trust Funds.

  • Use telephone banking for payments or transfers
    You can call us to ask questions about accounts, but deputies cannot transact over the phone.

  • Use our Banking app
    Deputies cannot use our Banking app to manage someone else’s accounts.

  • Use the Internet Bank if: 

    • your Court of Protection Order restricts what you can do. For example, there's a limit to how much money you can access
    • you’re not a member of Nationwide with your own account that can be managed online
    • you’re not personally named as a deputy in the Order
    • you’re acting ‘Jointly’ with one or more deputies. Acting ‘Jointly’ means you must make all decisions together
    • the person you’re acting on behalf of has a joint account with someone other than you. If they have a joint account with someone else, you will need to manage all of their accounts in branch instead of online
    • the person you're acting on behalf of does not have a UK address.

How to register a Court of Protection Order

You can register a Court of Protection Order with us in branch or by post.  

  1. Complete a registration form

    Use our form to let us know you’d like to register. You can also use the form to request things like a card and online access.

    Registration of Court of Protection Order form - PDF 797KB (Opens in new window)

    Whether you register in branch or by post, you’ll need to show us the original Court Order (or a copy certified by a professional, like a solicitor) as well as your proof of ID and address.  

  2. Our specialist team will get you set up

    It takes up to 10 days to register you as a deputy with us. If you sent any documents by post, we’ll return these to you once you’re registered. 

    If you’d like Internet Bank access and cannot receive text messages, we may ask you to visit us in branch to set up your online access.  

  3. That’s it – all done

    We’ll send confirmation of your registration by post. We’ll also send any other items you’ve requested, like a chequebook or debit card. 

Ready to register?

Make sure you have the Court Order to hand as well as proof of ID and address. 

Register in branch

Bring your completed form and documents to branch. Or we can help you complete the registration form when you visit us.

Register by post

If you choose to register by post, send your completed registration form and copies of all documents to: 

POA Administration Team  
Specialist Customer Support 
   Nationwide Building Society 
   Swindon SN38 3FN 

If you register by post, we may still ask you to visit us in branch to check your documents in person.

Looking for help?

Already acting as a deputy?  

We’ve put together a guide to help you manage someone else’s money as simply as possible. 

Understanding Court of Protection Orders

A guide to what a Court of Protection Order is, how it works and how it could help.

Contact us

Over the phone

Our specialist team are here to help.

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.  
Saturday, 9am to 12pm. 
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.

0800 464 30 18