A cash machine swallowed my card
What you need to do if your card is swallowed by a cash machine depends on what sort of card and cash machine it was. You can find advice for the different situations on this page.
Why was your card not returned?
The most common reasons a cash machine keeps your card are:
- you entered your PIN incorrectly more than 3 times
- your card has been blocked
- there’s a problem with the cash machine.
Our branch team can help you get cash and make payments if you don't have your card. Just bring your ID into one of our branches.
Nationwide card eaten by a Nationwide cash machine?
If your Nationwide card was swallowed by one of our cash machines, come into the branch with some ID.
Our branch colleagues will:
- get your card back if they can, or
- help you order a new one.
Using a non-Nationwide card in a Nationwide cash machine?
You'll need to contact your own bank or building society and let them know what's happened. They'll be able to order you a new card.
Not a Nationwide cash machine, or can't get back to the branch?
Order a new card by calling us or sending us a message.
You can send us a secure message in the Internet Bank.
- Log in to the Internet Bank.
- Click on My messages at the top of the page.
- Click on Compose new message.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
You'll need to call us to order a new credit card.