Transfer a stocks and shares ISA into a Nationwide cash ISA
This is a guide to transferring a stocks and shares ISA you have with another manager to a Nationwide cash ISA.
Keep in mind, you can only transfer into a Nationwide cash ISA. You can’t transfer into any other type of ISA or account.
What you need to know
- You can only have one ‘active’ cash ISA every year – this means, for example, that you can’t open multiple ISAs in a tax year, and benefit from the tax-free savings allowance in every one of these cash ISAs.
- It's important that you follow the correct process for transferring an ISA. We’ll tell you how to do this when you apply. Please don’t just withdraw your money from an ISA if you want to transfer it. If you do this, you'll lose the tax-efficient benefits.
- Transfers from one ISA manager to another ISA manager during a single tax year will not affect your annual ISA allowance for that tax year, as long as you follow the correct transfer process.
- Before committing to an ISA transfer, there are a few things to think about, including any penalties or costs for transferring your ISA.
What you need to do
You’ll need to order a transfer pack, which we’ll send you within 5 working days.
Once completed, you can return it:
- by post (to the address given in the pack)
- to your nearest Nationwide branch
How long it takes to transfer
Industry guidelines suggest allowing 30 days to complete your transfer once we've got your request.
However, stocks and shares ISAs often include many types of investments, which can each take different times to close down or sell. So it really depends how long it takes your current manager to sell the stocks and shares that make up your ISA.
This is the same when transferring a stocks and shares Junior ISA or a Equity Child Trust Fund.