What we need to know

We’ll ask for some documents from you to prove:

  • who you are
  • where you live
  • how much you earn, and
  • if applicable, how much deposit you have and where it came from.

You can provide these when you complete your Decision in Principle. This may speed up your mortgage application. You can also do this once you've completed your full mortgage application.

Employed status

Permanent employment

To prove you’re permanently employed and your income, we'll need to see your latest payslip. We can accept online payslips in their original file format, but not screenshots. This needs to be your latest payslip.

The key information we need:

  • Employee name must match the name on the mortgage application. If the name is on the detachable part of the payslip, we'll need to see a copy of this.
  • Pay date and tax period must be clearly shown.
  • Your net pay.
  • Gross pay in the form of basic salary, contractual pay, salary or notional salary. This list is not exhaustive.
  • If you're including bonus, overtime or commission, we'll ask for additional payslips that show any or all of these. More information on these in the table that follows this list.
  • Additional allowances including car, location and shift allowances.
  • The first name on your application, and middle name, if you have one.
  • If there is an address on your payslip, this should match the address on your application.
  • Your payslip, including any detachable parts, must show your employer's name. If your employer's name isn't on the payslip or any bank statements, you'll need to provide your P60.
  • Please include outgoings you've told us about in your application, such as student loan payments or childcare vouchers.

If you receive extra income

If you’ve told us you get extra income, for example a bonus, overtime or commission, we'll need you to send us more payslips.

Please refer to this table for how many payslips we’ll need based on how often you get paid.

If you can't view the whole table, swipe or scroll to show more > > >

How many payslips you’ll need to send as proof of your income if you're applying based on extra income.
How often you get paid Number of payslips we need to see
Every week Most recent 8 payslips
Every 2 weeks Most recent 6 payslips
Every month Most recent 3 payslips
Every quarter Most recent 3 payslips
Every half year Most recent 4 payslips
Every year Most recent 2 payslips

Income from contracting

If you're currently employed on a fixed-term contract, you must be employed for a minimum of 12 months, or have at least 24 months remaining on your current contract.

You'll need to provide us with your latest employment contract. It needs to include all pages and must be signed by you and your employer.

If your original contract has been extended, we need to see a copy of the extension letter.

If you're employed on a temporary basis through an agency, we'll contact your employment agency.


You need to have been self-employed in the UK for at least the last 2 years.

We’ll need to see your latest 2 years of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) documents, commercial software calculations or tax computation reports. They must be accompanied by an HMRC online tax year overview.

Tax calculations and the Tax Year Overviews can be printed from your online account. If you don't have an online account, you can contact the HMRC directly.

Or, if you have an accountant, you can give us their name, address, phone number and email address. We'll request an Accountant's Certificate directly from them.

If you're a fixed-term contractor and have been invoicing through your own limited company for 1 to 2 years, we may treat you as an employed fixed-term contractor. If you've been a fixed-term contractor for 2 years or more, you'll be treated either as an employed FTC, or self-employed.

If you're a Nationwide member and fall outside these criteria, please call us on 0345 609 25 30 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. Saturday 8.30am to 4pm. Closed Sundays and bank holidays).

Other income, such as benefits

If you've declared income additional to any employment income, you'll need to provide us with proof of this.

This is not an exhaustive list.

Universal Credit, Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, Employment Support Allowance, Widowed Parent's Allowance, and Adoption Allowance

You’ll need to provide the last 3 months of bank statements showing the payment being received.

Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment, or any other benefit related to your health

A copy of your latest award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

We only need to see the pages of the letter that show the benefit being paid and your income position. Please don’t include any medical information.


Please provide your most recent 3 months of bank statements showing a maintenance payment for each month.

If the bank statement is in joint names with the person paying the maintenance, we cannot accept this as a proof.

Private pension

You'll need to provide:

  • your latest annual pension statement or letter from your pension provider
  • your latest pension payslip, or
  • your P60.

State pension

You’ll need to provide a copy of your latest annual statement from the Pension Service.

Bank statements

We’ll need to see your latest statement. We may also ask for up to 6 months of bank statements, depending on your circumstances.

We accept both paper and online bank statements. If providing us with online versions, please include the HTTP address at the bottom of the page so we know they come from a trusted source.

The key information we need:

  • a full month’s statement for the number of months requested and must be the latest received.
  • your full name or initials, surname, and your address.
  • the building society or bank logo.
  • all pages of the statement or statements.
  • bank account and sort code numbers.
  • a running balance must be shown.
  • if the statement is from a current account, payments should be shown leaving the account.
  • outgoings must match those declared on the application – for example, loan and credit card payments.

Name and address

When you apply for a mortgage with Nationwide, we may need additional proof of your name and address to verify your identity. This is so that we can meet UK money laundering regulations to help stop criminals from using financial products or services for their own benefit. We'll only ask for enough information to allow us to open your account.

See our proving your identity page for details of how to provide us with your proof of name and address.

Evidence of deposit

If your deposit is from savings

If we need to see the deposit in your bank account statements, we’ll let you know in your Decision in Principle.

The number of bank statements we’ll need depends on the location of your savings account:

  • Within the UK and European Economic Area (EEA) – we’ll need to see 1 statement.
  • Outside of the UK and EEA – we’ll need to see 3 months of statements.
  • If we do not need to see your deposit, we won’t ask to see any bank statements.

If your deposit is a gift

When you apply, you’ll need to let us know if someone has gifted you money in the last year. If your gift is more than £10,000, we’ll need you to fill in a gifted deposit form. The person gifting you the money, also called the donor, may have to provide us with bank statements to prove that the deposit amount came from their account.

The number of bank statements we’ll need to see depends on where your donor’s savings account is:

  • Within the UK – we won’t need any statements.
  • Within the European Economic Area (EEA) – we’ll need 3 months of statements.
  • Outside of the UK and EEA – we’ll need 6 months of statements.

Residency and nationality

We only need these documents if you’re asked for them on your mortgage application. Whether you’re applying for your mortgage online or by Mortgage Adviser, you will need to bring your documents into a branch to be certified.

We accept the following proofs:

  • Permanent Residence Card
  • Residence Card, Family of a Settled Person Visa and UK Ancestry Visa
  • Proof of Visa normally held in the applicants current or old passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit – these are a new style of visa card for both EEA and Non-EEA Nationals but are only acceptable for Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa, spousal or ancestral visas, or with indefinite leave to remain. Please ensure the front and back of the card is sent.
  • ‘Check Someone’s Immigration Status’ document this applies to EEA nationals who applied via the EUSS scheme and are only acceptable where a Biometric Residency permit has not been issued.
  • Home Office Letter – normally only applies to Asylum Seekers and Refugees who have been granted 'indefinite leave to remain' but can also be accepted as a supporting document (for example, if residency was a stamp endorsement in a previous passport and the letter matches the previous passport reference number).

There may be circumstances where we need to ask for additional proofs or information, or may not be able to accept the proofs if the application does not meet our criteria.

Non–UK/Irish Nationals

We welcome applications from non-UK/Irish nationals.

We ask that you:

  • have completed a minimum of 12 months of continuous employment in the UK.
  • have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
  • have 12 months left on your visa, if you don't have indefinite leave to remain.

Visa Requirements

In order to be considered, you must:

  • have your salary paid in sterling into a UK bank account.
  • have been legally resident in the UK for at least 3 years.

If you do not have indefinite leave to remain, the application must also:

  • have a maximum Loan to Value (LTV) of 75%.
  • have a minimum 25% deposit from own resources (or equity in property if a remortgage). Gifts and builder’s cashbacks are only acceptable if they are in addition to the 25% from own resources.
  • Not be for an equity share property.

How to send us your documents

If you're using our new trial remortgage application, you can upload your documents directly to us during the process.


If you’re sending a bank statement, please cross out or cover any visible card numbers before scanning or taking a picture of it.

The card number is the long number that’s usually across the front of debit or credit cards.


Help with your application

Call us

If you have questions, you can call us.

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Saturday 8.30am to 4pm.
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.