Update or cancel your Income Protection Insurance policy
You can make changes to or cancel your Income Protection policy, whether you have Income Protection Benefit or Illness and Injury Insurance.
Changes you can make
You may be able to make the following changes to your policy:
- Increase or decrease the amount you are covered for.
- Update your name.
- Update your address.
- Change where you pay your policy from.
If you have Income Protection Benefit you can also increase
- Change the end date of your policy.
- Increase or decrease the deferred period of payments to 4, 8, 13, 26 or 52 weeks after you go off sick.
Keeping your details up to date is important. Incorrect details could invalidate your policy and stop a claim being paid out.
Before you make a change
There is no fee for updating your policy, but your Income Protection premium may change.
It is worth reviewing your policy to check it’s still right for you.
Be aware that:
- Changes to your policy may affect how much you pay for it.
- Your existing policy may need to be cancelled and a new policy set up. A new policy may have different terms and conditions.
Cancelling your policy
If you cancel your policy you won't need to pay a cancellation fee.
If you cancel your policy within 30 days of it starting, Legal and General will return any payments you have made.
Before you cancel your policy
It’s usually cheaper to buy income protection when you’re younger. Consider changing the policy instead.
Ways to change or cancel your policy
You can check your policy and update your details online with My Account.
Call Legal & General's UK based team.
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
If you need advice
You can book a free appointment with one of our expert Financial Advisors
You can find independent advisers on Unbiased.co.uk (opens in new window).
Help during challenging times
Our Specialist Support team is there to help when you’re going through a challenging time.