Guide to Nationwide Life Insurance
This is a guide to Life Insurance. Policies are provided by our partners Legal & General.
What's on this page
What is life insurance?
Life insurance pays out a lump sum to the people who rely on you, if you die during the length of the policy (subject to exclusions).
You can choose a type, amount and length of cover to suit you and your family’s needs.
Types of cover
Choose whether your lump sum stays the same or goes down over the length of the policy.
The lump sum stays the same throughout the length of time you are insured for.
Level cover life insurance could be suitable if you want to cover yourself for a specific amount. It could cover things like:
- An interest only mortgage - as the amount you owe won’t have gone down over time.
- Rent payments.
- Childcare or school fees.
The lump sum you’re insured for reduces over time.
Decreasing cover could be suitable if you have a repayment mortgage. Your level of cover will go down over time, roughly in line with the amount you owe on your mortgage.
Critical Illness Cover
You can choose to add Critical Illness Cover to your Life Insurance policy at an extra cost.
Covering a wide range of illnesses, it will pay out your lump sum if you are diagnosed with one of the conditions covered (subject to exclusions).
Allowing you to focus on your health, Critical Illness Cover could help pay for things like:
- Your mortgage or rent.
- Everyday bills and expenses.
- Home adaptations.
- Medical expenses.
- Help around the house or with childcare.
- Treating your family.
How much life insurance cover do you need?
You’re probably the best person to answer that question. You’ll want to think about:
- How much it would cost to pay off your mortgage.
- How much your loved ones might need to cover their living expenses.
- The cost of any school or university fees.
- Any debts that would need repaying.
- How much you’d like to leave your dependents.
- Any relevant insurance that you might already have. Is it enough or is there a gap?
How much does it cost?
The longer the policy lasts and the bigger the lump sum, the more it will cost. But it might cost less than you think. Things that affect the cost of Life Insurance include:
- Your age – the earlier you take out life insurance, the less expensive the premiums are likely to be.
- Your health and lifestyle.
- The length – a longer policy is more expensive.
- Your choice of cover – the type of cover you choose and optional extras such as Critical Illness Cover.
Make sure all information you give when you apply is accurate. Incorrect details could invalidate your policy and stop a claim being paid out.
How long do you need cover for?
Everyone's cover needs are different. You might just want cover for the length of time your mortgage has left to run. Or you might want to provide for your dependents for a longer term.
If you need advice
Book an appointment with a financial adviser at Legal & General who can:
- Help identify your needs.
- Make recommendations for protection to suit your personal circumstances.
- Help you make your application.