Protect yourself from fraud with antivirus software
Choosing the right antivirus software can help protect you from online threats like viruses, malware and phishing scams.
What's on this page
Choosing the right antivirus software
Antivirus software finds security threats on your computer and removes them. But many market-leading antivirus products do much more. They can come with:
- Browser security — protects you when online.
- Firewall — stop threats reaching your computer.
- Antivirus — tackles threats on your computer.
- Anti-phishing — identifies fraudulent websites and emails.
- Anti-spyware — blocks or removes spy programmes.
- Anti-spam — safely deals with spam emails.
Use a trusted source to compare antivirus software and choose the right package for you.
Keep your software and systems up to date
Make sure you always have the latest versions of computer, browser and antivirus software.
Your antivirus software
Antivirus companies update their software with every new threat they find. Make sure your software is set to:
- Update whenever your computer starts.
- Run a full scan at least once a week.
Your operating system
Update and upgrade your operating system whenever possible. Even if your computer is working perfectly, using the latest software will protect against the most recent threats.
You should also set your software to install security and performance updates automatically.
We support Windows 7 and above.
This also protects your device from the latest threats. Make sure it’s up-to-date, otherwise you could be vulnerable when online.
Most of the time browsers automatically update. To be safe, check the settings to make sure they are.
We don’t support any beta versions of browsers, or browsers that run on Linux.
Bank safely online
Get advice on staying safe online from: