This page is about changing your existing current account with us to a different current account with us. If you’re looking to change your account with another provider to one with us (or the other way around) then you’ll need to switch your current account instead.

If you have a FlexPlus account:

To change your FlexPlus account to a FlexDirect or FlexAccount, give us a call on 0800 30 20 10 between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Saturday. Or come to see us at your local branch.

If your FlexPlus account is a joint account, you’ll need to come to branch.

If you have any other current account with us:

To change your account to a FlexPlus, FlexDirect or FlexAccount: log in to our Internet Bank, then from the drop-down menu next to your account, select the ‘change your account’ link.

Or you can give us a call on 0800 30 20 10 between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Saturday. Or see us at your local branch.

If you have a FlexOne account, you can also change it to a FlexStudent account in the same ways.


if you’re not sure which current account you already have with us, you can find it on your debit card, just beneath where it says ‘Nationwide’.

What happens when I change my account?

  • In most cases, your sort code and account number will continue to be the same as they were.
  • Your direct debits, standing orders and bill payments will continue from your new account automatically
  • Your new card will be sent to you within 7 working days but your existing card will continue to work for 21 days after your upgrade has taken place
  • You’ll have 28 days to cancel, if you change your mind.

Unsuccessful account changes

Changing your current account with us won’t affect your credit score, but there are some circumstances where we won’t be able to complete the change, such as:

  • You are under the age of 18
  • Your account has recently been overdrawn without our authorisation
  • You have missed payments for other Nationwide products you hold
  • You have missed loan, mortgage, or credit card payments with other providers
  • You are currently bankrupt or have an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) with your creditors