If you’re moving abroad to a country in the EUFallback Text or EEAFallback Textor just want to move your banking there, we can help by:

  1. Giving you a list of all the regular payments in, and out of your account – such as your salary, direct debits and standing orders.
  2. Sending any money left in your account to your new bank account with an EU/EEA bank.
  3. Closing your Nationwide current account.

You can do all these things online, in our Internet Bank. Or you can come into branch and we’ll do them for you.

What is the EU?

The EU countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK. 

What is the EEA?

The European Economic Area (EEA) includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, French Guiana, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Madeira, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion, Saint-Martin, The Azores and The Canary Islands.

Keeping your UK current account

You don’t have to close your account with us when you move abroad but monthly fees and any charges will still apply while the account is open. Also, benefits like insurance won’t apply if you live outside the UK.

More about keeping your account