This page is for customers who bought Nationwide home insurance, underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, on or before 3 December 2017 (policy numbers starting with R). If you bought your policy after this date, click here to find out more information.

Help with your policy

Nationwide home insurance taken out on or before 3 December 2017 is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited. Call if you need to:

  • Get a copy of your policy schedule
  • Update your details (name, address or something else)
  • Add or remove cover
  • Change how you pay
  • Cancel your policy
  • Ask us a question about Home Insurance
  • Monday to Friday : 8am - 8pm
  • Saturday : 9am - 5pm
  • Sunday : 10am - 5pm

Having an emergency?

Home Emergency insurance taken out on or before 3 December 2017 is underwritten by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited. You can use it to get urgent help with emergencies in your home, such as a burst pipe or damage to your roof.

If you’ve added Home Emergency insurance to your policy, you’re covered for repairs up to £500. If you haven’t, we can still help you get the advice and support you need, but you’ll need to pay for any repairs.

  • 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Making a claim

  1. Check your policy schedule

    Make sure you’re covered and check how much excess you’ll need to pay. Call us if you’re not sure.
  2. Gather information about your claim

    Dates, times, crime reference numbers, receipts, quotes from suppliers, photos – these will all help us.
  3. Call us to make your claim

  4. We’ll start working on your claim

  • Monday to Friday : 9am - 5pm
  • Saturday : 9am - 5pm

Claim for Legal Assistance

Legal Assistance cover taken out on or before 3 December 2017 is provided by DAS Law Limited. You can use this for confidential legal advice over the phone on any personal legal problem.

You can also use it to discuss a potential Legal Assistance claim, if you’ve purchased cover under this section of the policy.

  • 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Visit the DAS Legal Expenses website to download a claim form.

Frequently asked questions

Can I get cover if my house is unoccupied for long periods?

You can leave your home unoccupied for up to 60 days and remain covered on your home insurance, although we do recommend that due care is taken to protect your home for the period you are away.

If you have an existing policy and leave your house unoccupied for more than 60 days you will invalidate many aspects of your buildings and/or contents insurance.

What happens if I move home or make major changes to my home within the duration of my policy?

You must tell us immediately if you move house. You must also inform us if any work is being done on your home which is more than routine maintenance, if you let your house out, use it for business purposes or use it as a holiday home. We may then assess whether your cover/premium needs to be revised.

You must tell us as soon as possible if any changes apply to you that may affect the level and/or cover of your insurance by calling 0800 051 02 34.

Is my child insured as a student away from home at a university/college?

Yes. If your child is a student temporarily living away from home their contents will be covered under your contents insurance. This includes contents kept in lodgings for a student at university, college or boarding school in the British Isles. This is limited to £5,000 for a Home Insurance Essentials policy, and £10,000 for a Home Insurance policy.

Are outbuildings covered?

Yes. Your home is defined as the building of your main domestic home occupied by you, at the address shown in your schedule together with its domestic garages and domestic outbuildings. This includes sheds, greenhouses, garages or conservatories.

If you have contents insurance your contents in outbuildings are insured against theft; this is limited up to the value of £5,000 for the higher Home Insurance policy, or £2,500 for the Home Insurance Essentials policy.

Will you replace my contents on a new for old basis?

Yes. We operate a new for old basis for both Home Insurance Essentials and Home Insurance contents policies. For full details about repairing or replacing contents please refer to our policy documents.

Can I protect my No Claim Discount?

For policies bought before 25th September 2016:
When you've reached five years without making a claim, you'll also have the option to protect the no claim discount for an additional premium.

You will lose this protection and some or all of your No Claim Discount if you make:

  • more than one claim in a period of insurance or
  • more than two claims in any three periods of insurance in a row.

For full details please refer to the policy wording.

For policies bought on or after the 25th September 2016 this optional extra is no longer available.

How can I pay for my policy?

It's possible to pay for your policy either in monthly instalments or a one-off payment for the year.

A single payment for the year can be made using a credit or debit card, or via an annual direct debit.

Paying by monthly instalments can only be done via direct debit (Available for over 18's only and subject to eligibility). Home Insurance Essentials policies can be paid monthly via direct debit with 5% fee (11.8% APR representative). Home Insurance policies can be paid monthly via direct debit with 0% fee (0% APR representative).

How do I cancel my policy?

You may cancel your combined buildings and contents policy, buildings only policy or contents only policy at any time by contacting us on 0800 051 02 43.

  • If you cancel your policy before it is due to start we will return any premium paid in full.
  • If you cancel within 14 days of your policy starting or within 14 days of you receiving your documents (whichever is the later) we will return any premium paid.
  • If you cancel after those 14 days have passed we will return any premium paid less an administration fee of £26.88 (including Insurance Premium Tax) and an amount for the period the policy has been in force.

We will not refund any premium if we have made or will have to make a claim payment to you or if a claim has been made against you during the period of insurance. This applies to both new business and renewals.

How we use your information?

You can find out more about how we use your personal information, and keep it safe, by reading how Nationwide uses your information. If you have any more questions on this, get in touch and we'll be more than happy to help.