I’ve sent a payment to the wrong account

We can’t cancel a payment once it has left your account, but we can try and help you get it back.

If you can, contact the person you’ve sent the money to and ask them to return it

This can be the quickest and easiest way to get your money back.

If you’re not able to contact them, or they don’t respond to your request, get in touch with us.

Contact us as soon as possible if you need help

You can call us on 0800 30 20 11, between 8am and 8pm, or visit us in branch.

Find your nearest branch

Once you’ve told us about the payment, we’ll follow the credit payment recovery process, which means:

  • we’ll contact the bank or building society of the person you’ve sent the money to within two working days
  • they will have 18 days to respond to our request to return it.

If there’s no dispute, your money will be returned to you within 20 working days from the date you first got in touch with us.

If we can’t get your money back this way, we’ll talk you through the other options available to you.