Travel refunds: First steps

Before raising a claim with us, speak with your travel provider for advice on refunds and changes to your booking. They will be able to explain your options.

If you are not making any progress, you may be able to claim a refund by raising a dispute.

If you used a Visa debit card or a credit card

A Visa Chargeback allows you to dispute a transaction if the service you paid for has not been provided.

However, if your airline or hotel is still able to provide the service that you have booked, you are not able to claim a refund, even if you have been advised not to travel. This is because the provider has not broken their agreement with you.

If your agreement allows you to cancel the services for a full refund, but you haven’t received it, you can make a claim with us and we will investigate.

Section 75 cover if you used a credit card

Section 75 applies to services that you have purchased on a credit card that cost between £100 and £30,000. This applies whether you've paid the full amount, only the deposit or made a partial payment on your credit card. It does not apply to debit cards.

Section 75 makes Nationwide equally liable for any breach of an agreement with a merchant (for example, when a merchant does not provide the service you have purchased).

If a flight or hotel that you have booked is still available, even if you can’t get there or no longer wish to travel, unfortunately this wouldn’t be covered by Section 75, as it’s not a result of a breach of your contract with the merchant.

If the terms and conditions of the service you have bought allow you to cancel for free and you’re not refunded, or a flight is cancelled and you’re not refunded, please let us know.

Make a claim

If you’ve already contacted your seller and been unsuccessful, you can raise a dispute on your visa debit or credit card.

As we’re experiencing very high call volumes at the moment, please only call us if you can’t raise a dispute online.

Dispute a transaction on your credit card

If you'd like to raise a dispute on your Nationwide credit card, complete our Credit Card Dispute form or call us on 0800 055 66 11. Lines open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday, 9am to 5pm Sunday.

Dispute a transaction on your debit card

There are different ways to raise a dispute for a transaction on your visa debit card. The right option will depend on your reason for raising the dispute.

For some of these options you’ll need your customer number.
Find out your customer number if you’ve forgotten it

If one of the following statements applies, you can raise a dispute via our online form. (You’ll need your customer number for this.)

Select the option that best matches your situation:

If none of these options apply, the fastest way to submit a request is via the Internet Bank following these steps:

  1. Log in to the Internet Bank
  2. Hover over the 'Manage' tab
  3. Under the 'Contact us' heading, select 'report unusual activity'

If you’re not yet registered for online banking, you can sign up in minutes and submit your dispute online.

Or call our Visa Dispute team on 0800 30 20 11. Lines are open 8am to 5pm, Monday to Saturday.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) help and support

We’re here to help if you have any worries regarding coronavirus whether it’s money, managing your accounts, getting to branch or fraud.

Travel Insurance

If you are not eligible for a refund through your card and you hold either a FlexAccount or FlexPlus account with Travel Insurance, then we may still be able to help.

Check your Nationwide travel insurance cover