Working from home

You are covered by our Home Insurance if you’re doing clerical work from home, such as working on a computer or laptop. You don’t need to tell us about this.

Business equipment

If you're using business equipment owned by your employer, for example a laptop, it’s their responsibility to insure it, so you don’t need to add it to your policy.

Their equipment is not covered under our Home Insurance policy, unless you're responsible for any damage to the equipment under the terms of your employment.

If the business equipment is owned by you, it will be covered under your contents insurance. Please check your policy documents for details and limitations.

Staying at home

When you take out Home Insurance, we would have asked you how often you are at home. Don’t worry, you don’t need to tell us if you are staying at home more than usual due to coronavirus.

If you have to leave your home empty

Usually our policy will cover your unoccupied home for 60 days before restrictions apply. However, we'll remove these restrictions if you can’t avoid leaving your house unoccupied as a result of coronavirus.

If you do need to leave your home unoccupied, we have some tips on how to protect it:

  • Ask a neighbour to keep an eye on your home.
  • Make sure your windows and doors are locked, remove the keys and set your alarm, if you have one.
  • Switch off and unplug electrical items.
  • Turn your gas and water off at the mains unless they are being used for an automatically controlled heating system.

I’m worried about being able to pay for my insurance due to COVID-19, what can I do?

We are here to help so if you are worried about being able to pay for your Insurance due to COVID-19, please get in contact with us as soon as you can on 0800 145 60 60 so we can discuss the options available to you and rest assured all conversations are confidential.

If a friend or carer is staying with you during the lockdown

If anyone other than your family is staying in your house, certain restrictions apply. However, we’ll lift these restrictions if a friend or carer is staying with you as a result of coronavirus.

If your friend or carer continues to stay with you after the coronavirus lockdown period is over, you’ll need to tell us so we can update your policy.

Taking items with you while you stay somewhere else

We'll cover items owned by you if you take them with you while you stay elsewhere during the coronavirus lockdown. This includes cover for loss, damage by fire or theft using force or violence.

Check your policy documents for a full list of what we do and do not cover.


If you’ve been asked to give us a valuation within 30 days and you can’t due to lockdown, don’t worry. Your items will be covered. After restrictions are lifted, we will send you another reminder, and you can send us your valuation then. Information about how to send us a valuation is in your policy documents.

Alternatively, you can send us a receipt, if you have one, to

Please include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your policy number
  • Photographs of the item(s)

Renewal documents

If you did not get your renewal documents because the post was disrupted or you were in hospital during the coronavirus outbreak, let us know.

We’ll reinstate your policy or arrange a new one as soon as possible.

Requesting a duplicate set of documents

To request another set of documents, please call us on 0800 145 60 60 or email us at

Please include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your policy number

Adding a high value item to your policy

To add a high value item to your policy please call us on 0800 145 60 60

Making a claim

For urgent claims, or if your policy needs to be renewed in the next 24 hours, call us on 0800 145 60 60

You can also make a claim online

Home Insurance policy terms and conditions

For full details about what’s covered, please see the policy terms and conditions