Checklist of what to do when someone dies

Bereavement checklist

To help you, we've put together a suggested checklist of people and organisations you may need to contact after someone dies. This information is just a guide, and not all of the details will apply in every case.

It's useful to have the following information available about the person who has died. This will help when you're filling out the forms and writing letters: 

  • National insurance number
  • NHS number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Date of marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
  • Next of kin
  • Tax reference number (if applicable)
  • Passport and driving licence number (if applicable)

Contacting our bereavement Helpdesk

For help and support please call us on:

  • 0800 464 30 18

Our opening hours are Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm and Sat 9am to 12pm.

Action/contact Complete
Formally register the death, find out more on gov.uk/register-a-death  
Obtain a medical certificate from the hospital/doctor  
Obtain copies of the certified death certificate  
If there is a will, check if there are any specific requests (e.g. preference for burial, cremation, type of funeral etc.)  
Contact funeral director  
Notify solicitors/accountant  
Notify the executors named in the will or appoint an administrator  
Government organisations / 'Tell Us Once' service
The Government operate a “Tell Us Once” service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go. Your local registrar will give you a unique reference number to access the Tell Us Once service online or by phone when the death is registered (Not available in Northern Ireland or if the death occurred aboard) .  If the Tell Us Once service is used, the government departments below will be informed. If you don't want to use the service or it's not available to you, these are the government departments you may need to notify about the death.
Contact / Cancel / Change details Complete
 HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)  to deal with tax and cancel benefits  
 Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to cancel any benefits e.g. Income Support  
 HM Passport Office (HMPO) to cancel a passport  
 Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cancel a driving licence (you will need to send the registration certificate V5C)  
The local council, to cancel housing benefit, council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register  
Contact / Cancel / Change details Complete
Mortgage/land lord or local authority if they rented a property  
Royal mail to arrange a re-direction service  
Utility companies such as phone, water, gas, electric etc  
Any private organisation/agency providing home help  
TV/internet companies  
Cancel/Re-name/Re-arrange Complete
Bank/building society accounts/national savings  
Direct Debits/standing orders  
Credit cards/store cards  
Subscriptions to clubs/groups/magazines  
Insurance policies such as house, car, travel, medical etc. If the deceased was named first on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to ensure you're still insured  
Pensions providers/life insurance companies  
Mobile phone contracts  
Companies with which the deceased may have had rental/hire purchase/loan agreements  
Other people to contact


Seasonal membership for clubs, trade unions or associations for cancellation and refunds  
Doctor/hospital and cancel any appointments  
Dentist and optician  
Church/regular place of worship  
Left blank for you to add your own notes