Bereavement checklist

We’ve put together a checklist of people and organisations you may need to contact.

When you do, it’s worth having to hand the following information about the person who has died:

  • their National insurance number
  • their NHS number
  • their date and place of birth
  • their date of marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
  • their tax reference number (if applicable)
  • their passport and driving licence number (if applicable)

It’s also a good idea to have their personal representatives’ names and addresses.

Don’t forget the government’s Tell Us Once service

It covers:

  • HMRC
  • the Department for Work and Pensions
  • the DVLA
  • your local council
  • the Passport Office.
Tell Us Once service

What you need to do

Please treat this as a guide as it won’t be right for everyone. You can also download our bereavement information leaflet (PDF).

Legal things to do Complete
Obtain a medical certificate from the hospital/doctor  
Register the death, find out more on  
Obtain copies of the certified death certificate  
If there is a will, check if there are any specific requests (for example, preference for burial, cremation, type of funeral etc.)  
Contact funeral director  
Notify solicitors/accountant  
Notify the executors named in the will or appoint an administrator  
Government organisations to contact if you’re not using the Tell Us Once service Complete
 HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)  to deal with tax and cancel benefits  
 Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to cancel any benefits such as Income Support  
 HM Passport Office (HMPO) to cancel a passport  
 Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cancel a driving licence (you will need to send the registration certificate V5C)  
The local council, to cancel housing benefit, council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register  
Housing: who to contact Complete
Their mortgage provider, landlord or local authority  
Royal mail to arrange a re-direction service  
Utility companies such as phone, water, gas, electric  
Any private organisation/agency providing home help  
TV/internet companies  
Financial things to sort out Complete
Bank/building society accounts and national savings  
Direct Debits and standing orders  
Credit cards and store cards  
Subscriptions to clubs, groups and magazines  
Insurance policies such as house, car, travel, medical etc. If the person who has died was named first on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to ensure you're still insured  
Pensions providers and life insurance companies  
Mobile phone contracts  
Companies with which they may have had rental, hire purchase or loan agreements  
Other organisations and people to contact Complete
Clubs, trade unions or associations to cancel their membership and possibly secure a refund  
Their Doctor or hospital and cancel any appointments  
Their Dentist and optician  
Their Church or regular place of worship