As a result of Brexit, we’re no longer able to provide current accounts for members living in the following countries:

  • Netherlands – if the letter you’ve received is dated before 18 January 2021, your account was closed on 31 December 2020. If the letter you’ve received is dated 18 January 2021 or after, your account will be closed on 17 March 2021.
  • Italy – if the letter you’ve received is dated before 18 January 2021, your account was closed on 27 January 2021. If the letter you’ve received is dated 18 January 2021 or after, your account will be closed on 17 March 2021.

Therefore, if you’re a member living in one of these countries, it’s important you take steps to review your current finances and make alternative arrangements, as we must ensure that every affected current account is closed by the deadline for action date shown above.

Read the step-by-step guide to closing your current account:

What you need to do now

Make alternative financial arrangements

Given that other building societies and banks in the UK may not be able to offer banking services to customers living in the EU or EEA country you’re living in, you may need to set up an account with a provider local to where you live. Make sure whatever account you choose, you can still manage your finances and make transactions in a way that suits your needs.

Change of address - if you now live in the UK

If you're no longer living in an EU or EEA country, and now live in the UK, you'll need to update your address details so you can keep your current account. You can do it via the Internet Bank, or by calling us on +44 1793 810557. Lines are open Monday to Saturday, 8am to 6pm GMT.

Find out more about changing your details

Joint current accounts where one holder lives in the UK

The account can remain open if the holder living in the affected country removes their name from it or moves their registered address to the UK. If you want to add a joint account holder to an account, both of you will need to live in the UK to avoid having to close the account.

Changing your Direct Debits

Before closing your account, you must ensure that you change any existing Direct Debit arrangements that you have in place to ensure any payments are processed by your new current account provider in good time.

If you don't change your Direct Debits before the account is closed, they will not be paid out. So, it's really important you take action especially if your Direct Debit arrangements are used to pay:

  • essential bills and services such as utilities, insurance policies, regular savings, etc especially where there is a risk these services may be cancelled or withdrawn due to non-payment
  • mortgage and loan repayments

Other income or incoming payments

If you receive regular payments to your account for example salary, rental income, dividends or transfers from friends and family, you'll need to contact the senders and provide details of your new account so these payments can continue. Once your current account is closed any payments received will be returned to the sender.

Pension credits

If you receive a:

  • State Pension - you can arrange for it to be paid directly into a foreign bank if that's what you want to do. For further information, visit the UK Government website.
  • Personal pension - you need to speak to your pension/annuity provider to see what your options are for redirecting any income that you're currently getting into a new account.

Close your current account

Before you close your current account, remember you may need it to withdraw your savings or repay any outstanding credit card or overdraft balances.

You can close your account using the Internet Bank or in branch. If you can't use either of these options don't worry, we'll be in touch shortly to explain how we can support you over the phone.

If your current account is in credit

If your account is in credit you'll need to get your balance down to zero. If possible, please use the Internet Bank to make a payment to another UK building society or bank, or send a SWIFT or SEPA international payment to a foreign account.

How to make an international payment

If you're not registered for the Internet Bank, please read the step-by-step guide to closing your current account:

Once you’ve reached a zero balance and rearranged any Direct Debits, you must then close your account. You can do this via the Internet Bank. Select the ‘Close an account’ option from the ‘Manage my details & settings’ tab.

If you do nothing before the date set out in your letter

If you don't do anything by the deadline for action shown above, we'll have to close your account for you. When your account closes, you won't be able to use it and any Direct Debits, other regular payments (for example, sanding orders or recurring card payments) and future-dated payments will be cancelled. We will keep your money safe for you, and we'll write to you again to explain how to access it.

If your current account is overdrawn

If you have an overdraft on your current account, you must repay the amount owed in full before the deadline for action date shown above. You can do this by transferring money into your current account from another Nationwide account, if you have one, or from an account you have with another provider. Or you can make an international payment from a foreign account into your current account.

Unable to repay your overdraft?

If repaying your overdraft is going to cause you any financial difficulties, we may be able to help.

Check your options if you’re in financial difficulty, or call +44 1793 810557 to discuss. Lines are open Monday to Saturday, 8am to 6pm GMT.

It’s really important to repay your overdrawn balance or get in touch with us by the deadline for action date shown above, so your credit rating isn’t affected.

Travel Insurance, Worldwide Mobile Phone Cover and European Roadside Recovery

You need to be a UK resident to be covered by the FlexAccount or FlexPlus insurances. So, if you have travel insurance, worldwide mobile phone cover or the European roadside recovery with your current account and you live overseas, you won't be able to benefit from the cover.

If you purchased any travel or age extensions, these will be cancelled along with all applicable insurances when the account is closed.

More information about FlexAccount and FlexPlus insurance