No standard legal fees to pay when you remortgage
Moving your mortgage from one lender to another can result in having to pay legal costs. But when you move your mortgage to Nationwide, we’ll pay these costs in most circumstances.
When you remortgage to us, we pay a fee to cover the standard solicitor’s fees, VAT and the cost of all standard disbursements (i.e. the money your solicitor has to pay to third parties), except the cost of transferring funds from the solicitor to your existing lender.
Free standard legal fees are not available for house purchases of properties located in Northern Ireland.
- No standard legal fees to pay (see what isn’t covered below)
- Dedicated specialist advice from carefully chosen conveyancers
- All remortgage customers could benefit from our free standard service
What isn't covered
Here are some examples of legal work that is not covered under the scheme and which you may have to pay for, depending on the circumstances of your remortgage (please note, this is not a full list):
- Telegraphic transfer fee to repay your existing lender
- Mining and other unusual search fees
- Rectification of a defective title
- Change of name on title deeds
- Transfers of Equity
- Merger of titles
- Dealing with the repayment or postponement of other secured loans
- Dealing with leasehold or shared ownership properties
If additional work needs to be carried out that is not covered by our free standard legal service, we will inform you and suggest that you instruct our solicitor to carry out this work for you. You will be liable for the cost of this additional work. The solicitor will provide you with a full list of charges in their initial letter to you and will request your agreement before proceeding.
Can I use my own solicitor?
You can instruct a separate solicitor to act for you or seek independent legal advice at any stage if you wish, but you must pay for any legal services you arrange yourself. If you do instruct a separate solicitor to act for you, you will need to provide us with their details when you submit your mortgage application.
How do I instruct Nationwide's solicitor?
The option to take advantage of our free standard legal service for remortgage customers is offered as part of the mortgage application. You can apply for a mortgage online, speak to your mortgage adviser in your local branch, or call us on 0800 111 44 10.