Family Deposit Mortgages
If you already have a mortgage with us, you can borrow against the equity in your home to gift part or all of that money to a family member as a deposit on a home of their own.
What we mean by family
We think of lots of people as family, but for the purposes of this mortgage when we say family, we’re including children and stepchildren, spouses and civil partners, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and grandchildren.
We do not include friends in this definition of family.
Whoever you choose to help with a Family Deposit Mortgage, we only ask that they intend to purchase their home or are moving home with a Nationwide mortgage.
What to expect when you apply for a Family Deposit Mortgage
We call those helping a family member with their deposit helpers.
The family members who receive the gifted deposit we call buyers.
To apply, helpers must:
- already have a mortgage with us
- be able to borrow more on their property, and
- have a copy of the buyer’s valid Nationwide Decision in Principle (DIP).
To apply, buyers must:
- be applying for a Nationwide mortgage
- be buying their first home or moving home
- have a copy of their valid Nationwide Decision in Principle (DIP) when applying for this mortgage.
Ways to apply
Borrowing limits apply. We may amend or withdraw the Family Deposit Mortgage range at any time and without notice.