Even if your provider has gone into administration, don't assume your trip will be cancelled. You might still be able to go as planned.

1. First, check that your trip has been cancelled

Some travel agents confirm your arrangements with third party accommodation or travel providers as soon as you book your trip. In which case, you might still be able to go as planned.

If your provider has gone into administration, you probably won’t be able to contact them by phone.

Visit their website for more details on what to do next.

2. Refunds through ABTA or ATOL

If you’ve confirmed the trip is cancelled, check your booking to see if you’re covered by ABTA or ATOL.

Things to remember

  • ABTA and ATOL are industry organisations. So, if there are failures across the travel industry, it may take some time to get your refund.
  • Trips booked separately, or in parts, are not usually covered by ABTA or ATOL.

3. Get a refund through your bank or building society

Only try this if you:

  • are not covered by ABTA or ATOL, and

  • paid for your trip by debit or credit card.

Important information about card schemes and payment protection

Claiming a refund via debit or credit card chargeback

Card payment schemes, such as Visa, let you dispute and request payments to be charged back to the provider if you don’t receive certain parts of the service you were promised when making a purchase.

For example, if you book an all inclusive accommodation that turns out to be bed and breakfast only, you could potentially claim for the meals and drinks not provided.

Please note: you’re only able to request to charge back the value of the original purchase.

Protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

You may also have protection under the Consumer Credit Act if you paid by credit card. You are covered for goods and services costing between £100 and £30,000 where you have used your credit card, even if you only paid for part of the total cost with your credit card.

Making a claim

  • You’ll need to speak to the bank or building society whose card you used.
  • You’ll need confirmation that your travel provider cancelled your trip and refused a refund.
  • Visa dispute claims must be made within 120 days of the trip being cancelled, or your return date. There are no time limits under the Consumer Credit Act for making a claim under Section 75.

Evidence to support your claim

There are a few pieces of evidence that we’ll need to see in order to try and get your money back for you. For more information, visit [our claims evidence guide](evidence guide).

If you register your claim using our online form, make sure to have copies of your evidence ready to attach to the form, so that we receive your claim and your evidence at the same time.


If your card provider couldn’t resolve your claim, ask them to confirm it in writing. You may need this as proof later.

4. Get a refund through your travel insurance

Your policy may cover you if a travel company goes into administration. So first, check the level of cover that you’ve got.

Only try this if you weren't able to get a refund through ABTA or ATOL – and have proof of this.

Our accounts which offer cover

If you hold a FlexPlus account or travel insurance as part of your FlexAccount, you can get detailed information about your cover and making a claim on our coronavirus travel insurance page.


There’s no time limit on making a claim under your travel insurance. No matter when you were due to go on your trip, you can contact us to make a claim at any time, even if that’s after your trip was due to start.

You can find out more detailed information on our coronavirus and your travel insurance cover page.

When you’re ready to start your claim, head over to our dedicated page.

Make a coronavirus related travel insurance claim