How to set up a Direct Debit
A Direct Debit is an agreement you make with another person or organisation to take money out of your account with us. You give them your account number and sort code. They then set up a regular collection of money from your current account. The amount may vary.
Direct Debits can be used to pay your Nationwide credit card bill each month, or your TV licence on a yearly basis. It doesn’t have to be a fixed amount, but the company has to tell you in advance if the amount changes.
Direct Debits are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee (opens in a new window).
Pay your Nationwide mortgage by Direct Debit
You can use our online form to set up a Direct Debit, change the account that you pay your mortgage payment from, or change your existing Direct Debit date.
You will need the following details:
- your mortgage details
- the account number and sort code of the current account you want to pay from.
Pay your Nationwide credit card by Direct Debit
Call us to set up the Direct Debit at least 10 working days before your payment is due.
We’ll ask you for:
- your 16-digit credit card number (printed on the front of your credit card)
- the account number and sort code of the bank account you want to pay from.
Call us about your credit card payment
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm.
Saturday, 8am to 8pm.
Sunday, 9am to 5pm.
Pay your Nationwide loan by Direct Debit
Call us at least 10 working days before the payment is due.
We’ll ask you for:
- your loan details
- the account number and sort code of current account you want to pay from.
Call us about your loan payment
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Closed weekends and bank holidays.
Set up a Direct Debit from your Nationwide current account
When you agree with a company to pay by Direct Debit, they will ask you to fill out an instruction to say you’re happy for them to collect money from your account. They then set up the Direct Debit with us on your behalf.
The company will need:
- your 8-digit account number and 6-digit sort code (you can find this on your card)
- our head office address: Nationwide House, Pipers Way, Swindon, SN3 1TX.
Set up a regular payment
You can set up a standing order to pay a fixed amount of money regularly to another account or person.