Online payments with Visa Secure
Visa Secure is an extra step in the payment process that protects you when you're using your debit or credit card to shop online. You don't have to sign up, all credit and debit cards are covered by this service.
Most of our checks will take place behind the scenes without you noticing, but there are times when we'll need to check if it's really you making the payment.
What's on this page
Approving online payments
If you’re asked to approve an online payment, once you've entered your card details:
- A Visa Secure message box will appear on your screen.
- We will send you a unique code by text message.
- We ask you to enter the code into the Visa Secure message box to confirm it’s you.
- You’ll then be able to select ‘Continue’ and finish your purchase.
Visa secure message boxes you may see
You may see either of these two screens:
Text messages and emails
You’ll know it’s a genuine text message or email from us if:
- You get it just after you (or the joint account holder) have entered your card details online.
- It contains the last four digits of your card number.
Text messages in the UK are free:
- Some network providers might charge for receiving abroad. Please check with your network provider.
- Unfortunately, we can't send codes to landline or international mobile numbers.
Never share your code with anyone else and call us as soon as possible if anyone asks for it.
Help with codes
If you haven't received a code
- You can request the code to be re-sent. This can be tried up to 3 times.
- Text message codes: check your mobile phone signal.
- Email codes: refresh your inbox and check your junk mail.
- Check and update your details.
If you have poor signal
Check if your phone and network supports WiFi calling. If it does and you can connect to WiFi this may help.
Codes you haven't asked for
Codes will be received directly at the time you request them.
If you receive a code you weren’t expecting, consider if your number may be used on a joint account or where you have Power of Attorney.
Never share a code with anyone else. If you suspect there has been fraudulent activity on your account, please alert us immediately.
Update your details
You can log in to the Internet Bank using your card reader then check or update your details by selecting:
- Manage my details and settings; then
- Change my phone number; or
- Change my email.
Please allow up to 10 working days for updated phone numbers and email addresses to be activated.
If you need more help with a payment
If you can, please call us and we’ll help you to make the payment. You'll need your account details to hand.
You can call us 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm.
Closed Sundays and bank holidays
UK: 0800 464 3053
Abroad: +441793 774 100