What's in this section?

Completing a mortgage application

Your options for how and where to apply for a Nationwide mortgage.

Preparing your documents

The documents needed to support your application.

Solicitors and surveys

Arranging a conveyancer and getting your new property surveyed.

Insuring your home and mortgage

Insurance to cover your home and possessions.

How to apply

When you're getting a new mortgage and moving home, you can apply with advice (over the phone or in branch) or without advice (online). If you're porting your existing mortgage in part or full, you'll need to apply with advice over the phone or in branch.

Our video shows you how to complete your mortgage application, from the first steps, to choosing a mortgage and then completing the application itself.

Apply with advice

Applying with advice means that one of our Mortgage Consultants will help you through the application process, and they'll provide advice on which mortgage deal will best meet your needs. You can apply with advice by phone or in a Nationwide branch.

Apply without advice

If you don't want advice or help with your application, you need to be sure you're ready to take responsibility for choosing a mortgage deal that's right for your situation. If you're comfortable applying without advice, you can apply online.

If you choose to apply online but decide at any point that you'd like advice, you can always stop where you are and finish your application by phone or in branch.

Preparing your documents

Mortgage application proofs guide

When you’ve finished your application, we’ll let you know which documents we need to see as proof of your income and outgoings.  We’ve also got a handy guide to take you through each type of document and exactly what we’re looking for. 

If you apply online, you can send your documents via email or post, or drop them by your local branch. If you apply over the phone, please post your documents or bring them by your local branch. If you apply in branch, you can bring your documents with you to your appointment. 

Go to the guide

Solicitors and surveys

Appointing a solicitor

You'll need to appoint a solicitor to handle all the legal aspects of buying your next home (known as conveyancing). Conveyancing services include transferring the title of a property from the seller to the buyer. Your solicitor will also run searches, for example to find if there are any changes or development planned that could affect the property. 

You can use the Nationwide conveyancing service, or you can find a solicitor by contacting the Law Society or the Council of Licensed Conveyancers. Remember to get a quote for conveyancing services first.  

During your mortgage application, you’ll be asked to either provide your solicitor's details, or to choose Nationwide’s conveyancing service.

Home valuation and surveys

When you’re moving to a new home, we’ll do a standard valuation to ensure the property you want to buy is worth the purchase price. You won't get a copy of this report and it doesn't include details about the overall condition of the property. For that, you’ll need a Home Buyer’s Report or Structural Survey, depending on the home you're buying. 

HomeBuyers Report

  • This survey is usually for properties in reasonable condition and up to 150 years old.
  • It includes a check for major faults and gives approximate repair costs.
  • It includes a property value estimation.

Structural survey

  • Also known as a ‘building survey’, this is usually for older, unusual, or listed properties with extensions or renovations.
  • It includes thorough checks for faults (major and minor), estimated repair costs, and any follow-up, guaranteeing the property with the ability to challenge back from a legal perspective. It doesn't include a valuation.

Insuring your mortgage and home

Regardless of the mortgage you choose, you'll also need insurance to protect your home and everything in it. It's also really important to think about how you’d keep up your monthly mortgage payments if your circumstances changed. For example, if you or anyone else responsible for making payments became ill, lost a job or died.

Home insurance

Buildings insurance:
Buildings insurance is compulsory and covers you financially for any insured risks to your home’s structure caused by things like fire, flood or storm. You'll need buildings insurance to cover your new home before you move in.

Contents insurance:
Contents insurance is optional and covers the cost of having to replace the contents of your home if they’re damaged or stolen. You can get cover for TVs, jewellery, furnishings, laptops and precious antiques or art. You may even be able to extend cover for things you take out of the home such as phones, cameras, bikes etc.

Combined insurance:
It's possible to buy these policies either independently or combined under one policy. Combined policies may be a better value by offering a discount on the two together.

Protection insurance

Life Insurance:
There are two major types of life insurance, and they both aim to pay out a lump sum in the event of your death during the policy term:
Level – designed to pay out your original cover amount, at any point necessary in the policy term.
Decreasing – the amount to be paid gradually goes down as the policy continues. It’s designed to work alongside a repayment mortgage, so the amount of payout decreases roughly in line with your mortgage debt.

Critical illness:
This is available on its own or as an addition to straightforward life insurance. It means that if you’re diagnosed with one of the critical illnesses defined in your policy, you’ll receive a cash lump sum.

Income protection:
Income Protection is designed to support you financially if you're unable to work due to an illness or injury. Before you take out a policy, you’ll need to think about how much income you’d want to replace, and how long you could wait before the policy started to pay out.