Find out about our approach to responsible lending.
Our approach to responsible lending
We have a responsibility to you, our members, to be open and honest. We also aim to treat you fairly, and keep you safe and secure. These principles affect everything we do. The way we lend money is no exception.
Find out about our approach, whether you want a personal loan, credit card, overdraft, mortgage, or if you're requesting a variation to an existing mortgage. It also outlines what we ask of you in return.
What you can expect from us as a responsible lender
- Products and lending criteria designed to meet your needs.
- Products that we promote in a balanced way, showing the risks and benefits.
- Clear information on the cost of your borrowing, any fees, charges and our terms and conditions.
- We take a considered view of your ability to make regular payments and the affordability of the loan or overdraft we may offer you. Our view is based on your current circumstances and any changes that could happen in the future.
- The use of credit scoring for all new lending. This ensures a fair and consistent approach to lending decisions and, if appropriate, is supported by an underwriter assessment.
- We'll take into account your financial activity when we decide what credit limit to offer you.
- Reasonable notice of interest rate and payment changes affecting you.
- A limit on your borrowing that prevents you from overstretching your finances.
- Under strict controls we may share credit data with other lenders to improve the quality of our decisions, reduce the risk of you becoming over-committed, and prevent financial crime.
- Your personal information is treated confidentially and in line with Data Protection legislation.
- Prompt and professional handling of any queries or complaints.
- Fair treatment should you have payment issues or arrears.
In return, we ask that you:
- Provide accurate and complete information on your application. Particularly with reference to any information that may impact our assessment of affordability.
- Regularly assess your borrowing and other financial commitments. Contact us as soon as possible if you’re experiencing, or expect to experience, any financial difficulties.
- Understand the terms and conditions on which the money is borrowed, seeking further information and help if needed.
- Set your credit limit to best suit your needs, up to the maximum limit we will offer you, based on your circumstances.
- Ensure you're comfortable with the level of borrowing requested (up to the maximum we will lend based on our own assessment).
- Ensure you have the means to repay the amount at the end of the agreed term if any borrowing is on an interest-only basis.
Credit card management
For help, guidance and an interactive tool to better understand card costs, visit the CardCosts website (opens in new window).
When taking out a credit card you should consider your ability to maintain the monthly payments.