Building insurance FAQs

Nationwide offers a choice of two household insurance policies, Home Insurance and Home Insurance Essentials.
The information provided below applies to both Home Insurance and Home Insurance Essentials, unless stated otherwise.

You should answer to the best of your knowledge. If you have a mortgage you would have supplied this to your mortgage provider who will have it on record.

No a surveyors report is not required, however this is the most you will be paid for a claim and must represent the full rebuilding cost of your buildings in the same form, style and condition as new. If the sum insured is too low, your claim settlement can be reduced by the same percentage that your sum insured is inadequate.

You need to tell us how many rooms were designed to be used as bedrooms.

You need to think about insuring the structure of your home, which we call "buildings" insurance as well as what’s in your home, which we call home "contents" insurance.

For buildings insurance, you should insure your home for its full re-building cost, i.e. how much it would cost to rebuild your home if it was totally destroyed. This is different to the market value of your home.

You can find your home's rebuilding cost on the Valuation Report or Survey report which was completed when you took out your mortgage (although, if it is more than a couple of years old, it might need to be increased to take account of inflation).

For contents insurance, you should insure the contents of your home for the amount it would cost you to replace them as new today.

Yes, you can add our optional Home Emergency cover for an additional premium to cover you for emergencies such as your boiler breaking down, your electrics failing or your water pipes bursting.

You can select this when deciding which other optional extras you wish to purchase online or when you call.

Flood Re is a new scheme developed by the insurance industry and the Government to make flood cover more affordable for households at the highest risk of flooding. As a result of Flood Re, there should be far more home insurance options available to those at the highest risk of flooding, and prices should be more competitive.
Find out more

Your property has been identified as being at high risk of flooding and has therefore been included in the Flood Re scheme which includes a £250 compulsory flood excess.

Contents insurance FAQs

Home Emergency FAQs

Premiums and payment FAQs

Other FAQs