Making SWIFT payments (Overseas)
Telegraphic transfers are electronic payments made between a UK account and an overseas account. Nationwide uses the Society for Worldwide InterBank Financial Telecommunications (SWIFT) for payments made between the UK and other countries.
SWIFT transfers online
If you have a card reader, please log in to the Online Bank and:
- Select Move money - tab located at the top of the page,
- Find Other payments - located at the bottom of the page
- Find Make an international payment using SWIFT
- Choose your account - if you have more than one account a drop list is provided
- Select Go
- Continue to follow the on screen instructions
Download SWIFT Transfer Form
Please click on this link to download the SWIFT transfer form if you:
- don't have a card reader
- are not registered for online banking, or
- are abroad and don't have your card reader with you.
The address to post your form to is shown on the printed form.
SWIFT transfers at a branch
When requesting a SWIFT transfer at a branch, please take proof of identification with you in the form of:
- your Nationwide account card or Passbook, and
- a valid passport or photo card driving licence (with the paper counterpart).
There is no minimum or maximum payment amount when transferring using a SWIFT payment.
Fees and charges
Click on this link for our fees and charges.
SWIFT requests received into Nationwide before 1pm (GMT) will normally be actioned the same day. Any requests received after 1pm will normally be processed the next working day.
If your request to make a SWIFT payment is within the EEA, it usually takes one working day to reach the destination bank. Requests outside the EEA may take longer and payments to India can take up to 3 months. Please follow this link for a list of EEA countries.
SWIFT intermediary bank rates
To find out today's rate of exchange, please call us on:
- 01793 691916 (UK) - Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- + 44 1793 691916 (abroad) - Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Your name, address and account number will appear on this transfer and on any related messages through the payment chain.
- The administration fee is non-refundable.
- Provided there is no negligence on the part of Nationwide and/or its agents, then Nationwide and its agents shall not be liable for any claims or losses arising as a result of money:-
- not received by the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or
- rejected by the receiving bank or beneficiary; or
- for any reason, delayed whilst in transmission to the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or
- being recalled by you.
Subject to the above, Nationwide will make every effort to trace the funds and notify you of the outcome.
- For payments outside of the EEA, where it is not possible to recover any charges from the receiving bank’s account holder, Nationwide may debit your account with any such charges.
- For payments outside of the EEA, the receiving bank or agent may pass on extra charges (without notifying Nationwide) for processing the transfer request. This means that either the beneficiary will receive a lesser sum or a charge will be debited from your account.
- Nationwide does not give advice on the currency used.
- The exchange rates used by us to send currency payments are set by our agent bank and may be higher or lower than the indicative rate provided. This will depend on the time the transfer is requested, the value of the payment and the market conditions at the time the currency is reserved.
- In the event of funds being returned or recalled, the exchange rate prevailing on the day that we receive the funds back from our agent bank will be used to convert your funds to sterling. This may be a higher or lower rate than the one used applied when the transfer was sent. If the amount of the return or recall is less that the amount originally sent we will not be able to credit your accounts with the difference.
- SWIFT payments can usually take between 3-5 working days to reach the destination bank. Payments to India can take up to 3 months and occasionally longer to reach the beneficiary account.
- Please be aware that no funds can be transferred from your account until your request has been received within the CHAPS and Foreign Payments Incoming Team at Nationwide.
Note: If you require an investigation into a payment processed by us, please be aware that agent banks may levy charges for their parts in this service. These charges are not within Nationwide’s control and will usually be passed on to you.
Use of my information
In order to make this payment, details of this transaction and personal information relating to individuals named in this form may be provided to overseas authorities in order to comply with applicable legal obligations and prevent crime
Article ID: 1497