Making CHAPS payments (UK)
Telegraphic transfers are electronic payments made from an account at one organisation to an account at another. Nationwide uses the Clearing House Automated Payment System (CHAPS) for payments made within the UK.
CHAPS online request
To request a CHAPS transfer online, please log in to the Online Bank and:
- Select Move money - tab located at the top of the page,
- Find Other payments - located at the bottom of the page
- Find Make a payment using CHAPS
- Choose your account - if you have more than one account a drop list is provided
- Select Go
- Continue to follow the on screen instructions
Authorising your CHAPS payment using your card reader
You may be asked to use your card reader to authorise the transaction. If you don't have a card reader please print, complete and sign the form before sending it to the address shown on the printed form.
There is no minimum or maximum payment amount when transferring using CHAPS payments.
Fees & charges
There is a fee to send a payment using CHAPS, please refer to:
Nationwide does not charge for receiving a CHAPS payment, but the originating bank may make a charge to send it.
Payments made in the week (Monday to Friday) should be received by the recipient the same day, provided your posted instructions are received at Nationwide by 1:00pm on that day. Payments made after the 1:00pm deadline or on a Saturday, will be processed the next working day.
If you don't bank online
Please visit a branch to request a CHAPS transfer and take proof of identification with you.
- Your name, address and account number will appear on this transfer and on any related messages through the payment chain.
- The administration fee is non-refundable.
- Provided there is no negligence on the part of Nationwide and/or its agents, then Nationwide and its agents shall not be liable for any claims or losses arising as a result of money:-
- not received by the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or
- rejected by the receiving bank or beneficiary; or
- for any reason, delayed whilst in transmission to the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or
- being recalled by you.
Subject to the above, Nationwide will make every effort to trace the funds and notify you of the outcome.
- Nationwide does not give advice on the currency used.
- Please be aware that no funds can be transferred from your account until your request has been received within the CHAPS and Foreign Payments Incoming Team at Nationwide.
Note: Making payments through CHAPS should mean the recipient will receive the funds the same day, provided your instructions are received into the CHAPS and Foreign Payments Incoming Team at Nationwide normally by 1pm that day. Any requests received after the 1pm deadline will normally be processed the next working day.
Note: If you require an investigation into a payment processed by us, please be aware that agent banks may levy charges for their parts in this service. These charges are not within Nationwide’s control and will usually be passed on to you.
Use of my information
In order to make this payment, details of this transaction and personal information relating to individuals named in this form may be provided to overseas authorities in order to comply with applicable legal obligations and prevent crime.
Article ID: 1403