FlexAccount - A current account with NO monthly fee and more...
Everything you’d expect from a current account...
- Simple and easy to use Online Bank
- NEW Mobile Banking App
- Telephone Banking and FREE text alerts
- Visa debit card or optional cheque book
- Overdraft facility (subject to approval) *
- Call centres in the UK
...plus a host of additional benefits at no extra cost
Relax, let us take care of your travel insurance. As a main current account customer you could benefit from FREE European travel insurance.
- More about travel cover
- View eligibility
To qualify for travel insurance you must:
- Be a permanent resident of the UK
- Be aged 16-73 (view our FAQs about age criteria)
- Hold a Visa debit card (not cash card or cash card+) and either,
- Switch all your Direct Debits and standing orders to us from another bank or building society to your FlexAccount, using our Current Account Switch Team - backed by our Current Account Switch Service OR
- Pay at least £750 per month into your FlexAccount for at least 3 consecutive months (excluding internal transfers)
- Eligibility will be assessed when the account transfer is complete or at the end of the month, when you have deposited £750 or more. Important: Your travel cover will start once we have informed you of our offer in writing.
To maintain cover you must:
- Continue to hold a Visa debit card (not cash card or cash card+)
- Pay in at least £750 into your account per month (excluding internal transfers), and
- Remain a UK resident for the cover to be valid
We will review eligibility each year and customers not maintaining a deposit of at least £750 per month will be notified when their cover will be removed.
Enjoy access to special offers on loans, savings and mortgages, plus our Select Credit Card with 12.9% APR representative.
- More about Flexclusives
- View eligibility
To get access to our range of Flexclusive offers you must either:
- Hold a FlexAccount with a Visa debit card (not cash card or cash card+) and:
- Have been paying in £750+ a month (excluding internal transfers) for the last 3 months; or
- Complete an account switch to us (from a non-Nationwide account) using our Current Account Switch Team or have done so in the last 4 months; or
- Hold a FlexDirect or FlexPlus account.
Already have a current account and not sure if you qualify?
Don't worry, the secure online application form will tell you at the start of the application process if you qualify for the Nationwide Select Credit Card.
Don't have a current account?
You can apply for a current account and a Nationwide Select Credit Card at the same time.
Great offers on big brands with Simply Rewards for Visa debit or credit card customers.
- Rates, fees and charges
Examples of charges
|Main rates and fees
|Interest we pay you
|Overdrafts are only open to those aged 18 or over and are subject to approval. When you apply for an account, we'll tell you if we can offer you an overdraft. You will have 28 days' notice before we take any overdraft fees from your account.
|Fees for arranged overdrafts
||18.9% EAR (variable)1
We'll also give you a 3 month interest-free overdraft
We'll also give you a 3 month interest-free overdraft. For the first 3 months of an arranged overdraft, we won't charge you interest if you use it.
|Fees for unarranged overdrafts
||18.9% EAR (variable)1
+ £20 unarranged overdraft usage fee per month.
First Time Fee Refund
We can all slip up sometimes and lose track of our outgoings. So the first time you let us know you've made a mistake, we'll refund any overdraft fees you've incurred.
|FlexAccount Overdraft Representative Example
If you use an arranged overdraft of £1,200 the interest rate we will charge you is 18.9% EAR (variable).
If you'd like to know more about your overdraft and how it works, please see our understanding overdrafts leaflet.
Other charges and fees
We've shown you the main rates and fees that most people want to know above. For the full list of all our current interest rates and other fees and charges please download our latest interest rates and fees leaflet. For past rates and charges, see our documents and downloads page.
To see what charges we make for payments in other currencies and using your card abroad, see our using your cards abroad section.
All rates, fees and charges are subject to change and we may decide when to apply and waive any account charges.
What is EAR? EAR stands for ‘Equivalent Annual Rate' which allows you to compare the rates offered by different providers. It's the cost of an overdraft stated as a yearly rate, taking into account the compounding rate of interest. We work out interest each day on any overdrawn amount and take it from your account monthly, giving you 28 days' notice of the amount. Any interest charged is added to the balance outstanding.
1 If we make a change to these fees or charges we'll notify you 7 days in advance if the change is to your disadvantage. If the change is to your advantage we may make it immediately.
2 To be eligible for the 3 month interest-free overdraft on our FlexAccount, all we ask is that you use our Current Account Switch Team to switch your existing Direct Debits and standing orders when you open your new account. When you apply we’ll ask you for the details of the bank account you want to switch. Don’t worry, switching to us is easy, and we can manage it for you. More on switching.
YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE.
You can switch your Direct Debits and standing orders to your new current account at the same time.
* Please note that overdrafts are only open to those aged 18 or over and are subject to approval. To be eligible for the 3 month interest-free overdraft on our FlexAccount, all we ask is that you use our Current Account Switch Team to switch your existing Direct Debits and standing orders when you open your new account. When you apply we’ll ask you for the details of the bank account you want to switch. Don’t worry, switching to us is easy, and we can manage it for you. .
FlexAccount travel insurance is provided for Nationwide by U K Insurance Limited, Registered Office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4AZ. Registered in England No:1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority.
Nationwide subscribes to the Lending Code. For more information on the Lending Code please visit http://www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk/. You need to be 16 or over to apply for a FlexAccount and 18 or over to apply for a Visa debit card.
We are proud to have one of the highest levels of customer satisfaction on the high street. To make sure we keep it, we like to listen to our customers and regularly share how we're doing. This helps us focus on you.
But don't just take our word for it...
5 Star rated - again:
Our FlexAccount is rated 5 star by Defaqto, the independent research company for the 8th year in a row.