Web accessibility - Making it easier for everyone to use our site
Nationwide is a long-time supporter of web accessibility and aims to provide a first class service for all our website visitors, regardless of ability.
Every care and consideration has been given when building our Internet site so that it will be compatible with most assistive technology, including screen readers and screen magnification tools. Our pages feature proper headings and subheadings, lists for blocks of navigation, skip navigation links and forms that can easily be used and navigated by keyboard alone.
Nationwide routinely checks web pages - when amendments are made to existing pages and when new pages are released - to ensure that they meet our accessibility requirements, and we do respond positively to feedback regarding the accessibility of any of our pages or services.
Our web pages conform to Level A of the World Wide Web Consortium's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines but in many cases exceed this level.
Our internet bank
The internet bank has undergone thorough accessibility testing with Digital Accessibility Centre whose process includes rigorous user testing by their team who are all people with disabilities.
The internet bank is technically compliant with W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.0 to level AA with only 2 exceptions which are documented below.
1. Screen reader users may have difficulty in reading the timeout and logout layer. Due to this we advise that screen reader users use the headings dialogue by pressing Ins + F6 to navigate to the layer or Ins+F7 to bring up a list of links within the layer to either remain logged in or choose to log out.
2. The 'Products' area within the banking system has low colour contrast when choosing the 'High contrast' theme. Due to this we advise that users follow instructions on how to set their own style sheet or by disabling colour within the browser.
We are anticipating achieving full compliance during 2012.
Our aim is to create an internet bank that enables all our customers to get the most out of internet banking with Nationwide and have implemented a number of features to help us achieve this aim.
- 'Skip to' navigation links
- form fields with associated label tags
- support for screen reader technologies, keyboard navigation, and commonly-used access keys
- alternative colour themes including High Contrast
- clear link phrases used throughout (no 'click here' links)
- web pages styled using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- text equivalent versions of our internet banking demos and statement graphs.
Help and advice for using the internet bank
The internet bank has been optimised for use with the following browsers:
- Firefox version 4 or later
- Internet Explorer version 7 or later
- Safari version 4 or later
- Chrome version 12 or later
More advice can be found in the Setting up your browser section.
Support for assistive technologies
The internet bank has been built to web standards (W3C) and should support the use of all assistive technologies configured to work with these standards, for example JAWS. We have fully tested the new internet bank using JAWS v10.
Changing the size or colour of the display
The internet bank does offer different colour schemes, including a High Contrast scheme which may benefit some users. You can change the theme by selecting the 'Manage my details and settings' option, followed by 'My site settings'.
You can also use the controls in your browser to change the size of the text or the colour of the display.
For example, to override website font and colour settings in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the General tab, and then click Accessibility.
- Select the Ignore colors specified on web pages, Ignore font styles specified on web pages, and Ignore font sizes specified on web pages check boxes, and then click OK twice.
If you are using a screen reader, you should be able to navigate through the site using the following keyboard commands:
- H to move forwards through the page headings
- Shift + H to move backwards through the page headings
- 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or 2 for the next level 2 heading, and so on to heading 6)
- Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (same applies for headings 2-6)
- Insert + F6 to get a list of all headings on the page
- Insert + F7 to get a list of all links on the page
You can use your keyboard to move around pages and forms on the internet bank. All form elements within the internet bank are mandatory unless they are marked as optional.
New windows and new layers
Some of the links within the internet bank will open a new window. Where this is the case, we will always let you know through a visual icon and hidden text.
Some links may also open in a new layer, like a pop up, on top of the page you are viewing.
Using 'skip to' links
For sighted users, the 'skip to' links are revealed by pressing the tab key after the page loads. You can skip to different areas of the page, depending on what options are available.
Using a card reader
Nationwide introduced Card Reader Security to provide customers with an additional layer of security when logging in to the new internet bank or making payments. For customers who find the standard card reader difficult to use, we can provide a special Accessibility Card Reader, with larger buttons and a clearer display. You can request an Accessibility Reader by contacting us on 08457 302010 (Minicom 0800 37 80 01)
We are constantly striving to improve the accessibility of the internet bank, and will continue to monitor and check all our web pages to ensure they continue to meet our Accessibility requirements.
Our Mobile Banking app
We have made every effort to make our Mobile Banking app usable for all our customers, however there are currently no formal recognised standards for developing Accessible Mobile Applications.
If you have issues in using our Mobile Banking App in accessibility mode, please remember that our WCAG AA accredited Internet Bank is also available via the browser on your iPhone or AndroidTM smartphone.
The Mobile Banking app has been designed to work with accessibility features on iPhone however we are aware of the following issues with the app in 'VoiceOver' mode:
- The ability to scroll pages using "three finger swipe" and selecting links below the page fold is not available. Reading all elements on the page is possible using the right-to-left swipe function and all other gestures.
- Navigating in headings only mode using the rotor tool is unavailable on a number of pages.
At present the Mobile Banking Application has not been designed to work with 'TalkBack' on Android smartphones. We are currently working on this and hope to remedy this in the future.
If you experience any difficulties in using Mobile Banking, please contact us on 08452 341 272 and we will do our best to help.
Apple, the Apple logo, and the iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.