Despite the risk of a financial penalty, parents are taking a surprisingly upfront and honest approach with three in five (60%) admitting that they told the school that they were going on holiday. The remaining parents (40%) took a different approach and made an excuse or said their children were ill in order to try and escape any potential fines.
Graham Pilkington, Nationwide’s Director of Banking, comments: “Difficulties getting time off work, added to the well-publicised price premium associated with going away during the school holidays, mean that more parents are resorting to holidaying during term time. Nationwide has calculated that parents could save hundreds of pounds when booking holiday outside the traditional season. As a result, the number of fines handed out is soaring, although many are willing to take a small financial hit so as to avoid a significantly larger holiday cost.
“While Nationwide cannot reduce the price of holiday, we do have a number of benefits available to cut costs, such as multi-trip travel insurance, which is included in our FlexAccount and FlexPlus current accounts; our Select credit card, which offers unlimited commission free purchases abroad, and commission free ATM withdrawals on our FlexPlus account.
“We also offer Simply Rewards, which provide our Visa debit and credit card customers with a range of offers, whether money off airport parking and car hire, or discounts on eating out and hotels.”