Take the heat out of bonfire night

29 October 2013

As the 5th November approaches, many people will be preparing to hold their own firework displays. Whilst it is important to ensure that your friends and family are safe this bonfire night, accidents can happen to your garden or even your house.

Nationwide Building Society warns people to check their home insurance cover for such eventualities as setting fire to your garden shed, fireworks through open windows or a sparkler setting light to your favourite conifer.

Martyn Dyson, Nationwide's Head of General Insurance, said: "It may not be top of your list when you're preparing for this year's bonfire night festivities, however it's worth checking to see if you're adequately insured just in case the worst happens. Check to see if your home insurance offers cover for loss of, or damage to, buildings and contents caused by fire, explosion and/or smoke. It's also worth seeing if this will cover your garden and its contents, such as your garden shed."

Tips to reduce the chance of a bonfire night incident:

  • Never build your bonfire near to your house, shed or fence
  • Make sure your bonfire is stable and unlikely to collapse
  • Never let fireworks off too close to your house or people
  • Check your home insurance covers damage to your property as a result of a firework or bonfire mishap

Martyn continues: "In the event of such an incident, Nationwide home insurance products can provide cover for garden contents, plants, trees and lawns as well as options for buildings cover and accidental damage cover1."

Nationwide offers two different insurance policies: Home Insurance, which is rated 5 Star by Defaqto and includes personal possessions cover both in and out of the home and accidental damage as standard; and Home Insurance Essentials, which is rated 3 Star by Defaqto and offers personal possessions cover and accidental damage as optional extras2.

Customers can benefit from a 40% introductory discount when purchasing a new combined buildings and contents home insurance policy online.

Customers who would prefer to apply in branch or by phone can benefit from a 20% introductory discount when purchasing a new combined buildings and contents home insurance policy, or a 30% introductory discount if they are also a Nationwide main current account customer* and are purchasing a new combined policy.

Additional discounts that are available include up to 35% no claims discount on contents and up to 10% no claims discount on buildings if a customer has been claim-free for up to five years.

Notes to editors:

1Nationwide's Home Insurance covers up to £6,000 garden contents and £6,000 garden plants. Nationwide's Home Insurance Essentials covers up to £500 garden contents and £500 garden plants.

2Nationwide Home Insurance offers two different household insurance policies, Home Insurance, which is rated 5 Star by Defaqto and Home Insurance Essentials, which is rated 3 Star by Defaqto.

Defaqto is an independent financial research and software company specialising in rating, comparing and analysing financial products and funds.

Home Insurance includes:

  • Unlimited buildings cover for eligible properties
  • £100,000 contents sum insured (can be increased)
  • Buildings and contents Accidental Damage, including damage caused by pets as standard
  • Matching items cover
  • Cover for Personal Possessions outside the home (e.g. mobile, laptop, clothing, bags, bicycle)

Home Insurance Essentials includes:

  • £600,000 buildings cover
  • £50,000 contents sum insured (can be increased)
  • Optional Accidental Damage and Personal Possessions cover (can be added for an additional premium).
  • Theft and loss of keys (up to £500)
  • Cost of fixing the damage caused to trace and access a leak (up to £2,500)
  • Home Emergency cover and Legal Assistance cover are available as optional extras on both policies.
  • More information on Home Insurance and Home Insurance Essentials
  • Each policy has different limits for unspecified personal possessions, pedal cycles and individual item limits (for valuables or personal effects, whether covered inside the home only or inside and outside the home).
  • Nationwide's Home Insurance and Home Insurance Essentials are underwritten by UK Insurance Company Ltd (UKI). Home Emergency cover and Legal Assistance cover are underwritten by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd.
  • Discounts are applied consecutively, are subject to minimum premiums and can be withdrawn at any time.
  • Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply.

*To be a Nationwide main current account customer and get access to our range of Flexclusive offers you must either:

1. Hold a FlexAccount with a Visa debit card (not cash card or cash card+) and:

  • Have been paying in £750+ a month (excluding internal transfers) for the last 3 months; or
  • Complete an account switch to us (from a non-Nationwide account) using our Current Account Switch Team or have done so in the last 4 months; or

2. Hold a FlexDirect or FlexPlus account.

Nationwide is the world's largest building society as well as one of the largest savings providers and a top-three provider of mortgages in the UK. It is also a major provider of current accounts, credit cards, ISAs and personal loans. Nationwide has around 15 million members.

Customers can manage their finances in branch, on the telephone, internet and post. The Society has around 15,000 employees. Nationwide's head office is in Swindon with administration centres based in Northampton, Bournemouth and Dunfermline. The Society also has a number of call centres across the UK.  

Please note: If you are a customer looking for information on our products and services, please visit the main website.